commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Hans Smolenaars No 10 Commando no 2 Dutch Troop  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Camel1815
Forum Member

Hi, new to the forum. I?m looking for confirmation/information on a possible member of no2 Dutch troop by the name of Hans Smolenaars. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I cannot find any information in relation to this man in our archive. We are a family archive and do not have access to official service records so do recognise that our records are not complete. Before a name can be added we require evidence of service in a Commando so if you have this please provide copies of what you have or any relevant sources for information you provide.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Camel1815
Forum Member

Many thanks. I have spoken to Hans? daughter and she has stated that her father said he was in No10 Commando. I realise that is not enough evidence so I believe she is going to try and obtain his service records. Would his service records be here in Britain, rather than the Netherlands?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have sent a message off to a chap called Jack Bakker in Holland in the hope he might be able to assist you with how best to proceed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 30/08/2020 19:53:32

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Camel1815
Forum Member

Thank you.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have received a response from Jack Bakker confirming the details below and have updated our own archive accordingly:

I have looked in our archive for information on Hans Smolenaars. He was a member of what we call The First Reinforcement of No. 2 Dutch Troop. They were recruited when the South of Holland was liberated in the autumn of 1944. 107 men went to Achnacarry in November 1944. 72 of them managed to earn the green beret in January 1945. After that they joined No. 2 in Eastbourne and went back to the continent to be put in the line near the Biesbosch and the Hollands Diep, a large water area in the south of Holland. After that they went to Recklinghausen in Germany to guard prisoners of war.
The only other thing we know is that his Army number was 8084 and that he lived in England.

If his daughter has a photo of her Father I can add that to our archive but would need her name to credit it appropriately. Can you also confirm her father's date and place of birth and date of death (if applicable).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/09/2020 11:09:24

[Email]
Camel1815
Forum Member

That?s brilliant, thanks. Little bits I can fill in:- He must have been one of the 72 who got their green beret as he was in Eastbourne. That is where he met his wife on a blind date under the clock tower. He didn?t speak any English when he arrived in Achnacarry. He and his wife Kath, who was in the ATS, moved back to Katy?s home area of just outside Boston in Lincolnshire. They had one daughter called Patricia. It is Pat who I?m in contact with.
Btw would his Army Number have been his British one? Also his wedding report in the local newspaper states he was in the Airborne Forces. Incorrect journalism or a possibility?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Yes he definitely was one of those who passed the course. The number would be his Dutch military number I believe. As to what else he did I have no other information unfortunately. You can attach photos to any reply in this forum message. There is a maximum file size so if you do you and get a message file too large, just send it to me via my email (see below) and I will do it for you.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This link takes you to some photos in our gallery of the 1st Reinforcement group training.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/10IA/Dutch/Reinforcements/

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The gallery has more photos http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/10IA/Dutch/

[Email]
Camel1815
Forum Member

Absolutely brilliant. Thank you. Unfortunately Pat does not have a computer so If it is alright could I print a few of these pictures off to show her?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Yes of course.

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger