commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
LT.Col Charles Edward Vaughan  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi All,

Was Lt Col Charles Edward Vaughan the only C.O. of the Commando Basic Training Centre ?

Regards

Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hey good question

SE Donnison
[MSN]
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi,

Thanks for your observation,I must confess that I was expecting a few answers by now.

The reason I asked the question,was ,while reading 48 RM Cdo war diary for December 1944,there was this following entry:

(Lt Col D.H.W.Sanders RM) left unit to take up appointment as OC RM Cdo Trg Unit.

Is the RM Cdo Trg Unit the same as the CBTC,Achnacarry,or is a total different org /unit, if they are two different units I am still interested about Lt Col Vaughan tenure.

Thanks
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Graham,
Major A G KOMROWER DSO was posted from 3 Commando to CBTC Achnacarry on the 24th January 1944 as 2 I/C. Lt Col. Vaughan visited the 1st Commando Brigade HQ at Venray Holland sometime in February / March 1945. Major Komrower was the CO in his abscence. Lt Col. Vaughan took part in a night patrol which I mentioned in the thread started by his great niece.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/4332.page

Guy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/02/2016 18:55:43

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Graham,

As far as I know Lt Col Vaughan was the only Commandant of the CBTC Achnacarry.

The RM Cdo Trg Unit (previously 22 Battalion) was at Gibraltar Camp - part of RM Training Group (Wales).

RMTG(W) set up camps 'Burma', 'Iceland', 'Gibraltar' and 'Matapan' around the Mawddach Estuary to train Royal Marines in the art of beach assaults, while the Amphibious School at Tywyn trained those responsible in maintaining the supply lines of such landings.

Burma Camp - A Royal Marine camp at Llwyngwril, built on requisitioned land approximately 68 acres in extent.
Crete Camp - A Royal Marine camp at Barmouth, consisting mainly of requisitioned houses
Gibraltar Camp - A Royal Marine camp at Llanegryn, Tywyn, consisting of a country house and a camp built on requisitioned land approximately 60 acres in extent. Connected with this area was the training area at Llanegryn, covering some 700 acres, under requisition by the War Department.
Iceland Camp - A Royal Marine camp at Arthog, built on requisitioned land approximately 25 acres in extent.
Matapan Camp - A Royal Marine camp at Ynys y Maengwyn, consisting of a country house and a camp built on requisitioned land approximately 25 acres in extent.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/02/2016 22:01:40

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I'm sure had there been anyone else up until the end of hostilities, their name would have been mentioned in either Majors Donald Gilchrist or Jimmy Dunning's books. We know he was still OC in June 1945 from this dated photo in the gallery:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Training/Holmes-001.jpg.html

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger