commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Charles Edward Vaughan  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
sathomas
Forum Member

Hello,

I am the great-niece of Charles Edward Vaughan who ran the Commando training school at Achnacarry. I've seen many references to him on this site.

My father, the actor Wally Thomas, was the son of Vaughan's older sister, Mary Ann Vaughan, who was born in New Zealand in 1884. Their parents returned to Birmingham shortly after her birth.

I knew my great-uncle until his death in 1968, and have Donald Gilchrist's book, 'Castle Commando'.

I'd be interested to hear any tales about 'Peggy' Vaughan.

Best wishes

Sally-Anne Thomas
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello - you know of course that your Great Uncle was fondly remembered by all who met him. My late husband, Bob had enormous respect for the man. I hope you get the stories you are looking for here.

- Janet
sathomas
Forum Member

Hi Janet, thank you so much for your response.

I know my uncle was highly regarded, but I believe he could be quite tough and difficult as well.

My father, who had been an actor since the age of 17, had a distinguished war record in WW2 and my brother was in the Royal Artillery, so soldiering was in the blood.

I would be most interested in hearing the stories about your late husband.

Best wishes

Sally-Anne
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for that. Bob wrote a short history of No. 2 Commando for the CVA. http://www.commandoveterans.org/node/3

You may find that interesting. Lots of good info on all units on this site. You will be kept busy.

Janet
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Sally-Anne,

A warm welcome to the CVA Website and Forum, as Janet says your great uncle was deeply admired and respected by the Commandos and yes, he was a tough man which made him ideal as the Commanding Officer of the Commando Basic Training Centre.

I also look forward to hearing more anecdotes about 'Peggy' Vaughan - maybe you could let us know why he was called Peggy?

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Charles Vaughan was a Commando legend, You should be very proud Sally Anne

SE Donnison
[MSN]
sathomas
Forum Member

Thank you both very much. He was an interesting man. Sadly, I don't know the answer to the 'Peggy' question. No doubt my father did. I was sixteen when Uncle Charles died -- too young to ask any sensible questions.

Soldiering was in the blood, as I said, and one of our ancestors fought in the Royal Horse Artillery throughout the Peninsular War and was a Staff-Sergeant at Waterloo.

I am very proud of the connection with Charles Vaughan.

Best wishes

Sally-Anne
GUY
Forum Member

Sally-Anne,
One of my favourite stories relating to your Great Uncle was a non Achnacarry story. This was recounted by Derrick Mills-Roberts in his memoir 'Clash By Night'. Charles Vaughan visited Brigade Headquarters at Venray in Holland (Feb / March 1945) on the proviso that he could accompany a night patrol.

"I assured him that my promise had not been forgotten. I had an idea - we would take him on a raid tonight.

We got hold of an additional canvas boat for myself, Charles Vaughan, Arthur de Jonghe, Donald Hopson and Joe Lawrence. Our distinguished crew of paddlers launched the boat silently behind 6 Commando. I took the steering paddle and we followed the patrol at a discreet distance of about twenty yards. Soon I had occasion to complain of the efforts of two of the paddlers - Charles Vaughan and Arthur de Jonghe were not putting any life into their work at all, they were merely dipping their paddles into the water. When these two gentlemen had been sorted out we glided over and landed on a mud bank where we could get a grandstand view of the target.

The racket soon started and as streams of tracer fire came from the house and over our mud flat a benign smile crossed the Colonel's face. "D'you mean to tell me I'm under fire?" he asked. When told that he was, "Oh, good!" he said. "Oh, bloody good!"

The fire was coming lower. "You'd better get down, Charles," I said, "or you'll get yourself punctured." But he seemed oblivious to all this once he had smelt powder.

The small raid was a success, four prisoners wre taken. Charles then looked at his impeccable service dress which had been ill protected by a duffle coat when he reluctantly settled himself in the mire. However, willing hands set to work, and with the use of hot irons and other impedimenta he left us looking exceedingly smart - neither the Coldstream Guards nor the Buffs could have faulted his appearance"

Regards
Guy

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 15/04/2014 15:40:06

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger