commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Father Found wounded In GI Uniform - North Africa  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
pwogel
Forum Member

Have just found this attached article ref my father the late Albert Raymond Wogel No 1 Commando, I'm this will be of interest to some ex service people.

Many Thanks

Paul Wogel
[Thumb - Fathers Paper Article.jpg]
 Filename Fathers Paper Article.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 278 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  438 time(s)

Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Paul

Great article I found it very interesting, to be honest I have been meaning to contact you concerning a message that was posted on this site last year regarding the first ever Commando raid ie Operation Collar. The message had an attachment that contained the nominal roll of the men who took part in this raid which was carried out by the specially formed No11 Independent Company. I knew form my father's Army records that he was in No11 however over three hundred men volunteered for this uinit with only 115 actually taking part in it. The nominal roll for No11 that was posted in the earlier message confirmed that my father actually took part in this historic first ever raid. If you look at the list you will also see the name of another volunteer ie A. Wogel, given the rarity of this surname I assume that this is referring your father?

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/15/608.page

Cheers Andy

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]
pwogel
Forum Member

Many thanks Andy,
Will check my fathers war records again,
There was a book published ref the raid
Operation Collar (commando raid) Paperback ? 1 Jan 2012
by Ronald Cohn Jesse Russell (Author)
If you have any further information I would be interested, only now finding things out about my father, for sure the war changed him, but then again that's not suprising, lads must have gone through hell, just hope I'm half the man my father was.

Thanks
Paul

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger