commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lt. John Alexander (Jean Alexandre) Bonvin, 6 Troop, No6 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Peter Bowe
Forum Member

The early years of No.6 Cdo detail a procession of officers, some of whom did not appear to last the course. However, one name that appears consistantly during those years is that of Lt. John Alexander Bonvin, a young officer who was well respected by his men - especially following his survival and escape from St. Nazaire in the aftermath of the Operation Chariot raid.

Unfortunately, Lt. John Alexander Bonvin (then of No.6 Troop No.6 Cdo) was fatally wounded in the opening hours of the Battle for Steamroller Farm at El Arousa, Tunisia, on 26th February 1943 dying on the battlefield in the arms of his men. Veterans of the Troop always spoke highly of the young officer and I considered that his story should be investigated further.

However, despite many years of research nothing could be found of Lt. John Alexander Bonvin's life pre- or post-War. Perhaps this was because I have been looking in the wrong place!

With the grateful help of his nephew, Mr. Philippe Bonvin, I can share with you that Lt. John Alexander Bonvin is infact Lt. Jean Alexandre Bonvin a Swiss national entitled to British citizenship having been born in London to Swiss parents, who with the outbreak of war dcecided to renounce his Swiss citizenship to venture to Britain and join the fight against Hitler's Nazi regime. Finally, paying for that decision with his life.

If anybody should have any further information in regard to Lt. Jean Alexandre Bonvin in order to improve his listing on the web site (www.6commando.com) then I would welcome your assistance.

Peter Bowe

Peter Bowe

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/02/2009 21:28:46

Peter Bowe
Forum Member

Apologies - my reference to Lt. Bonvin's life post-war was intended as referring to any surviving relations.

Peter Bowe

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger