commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Andy 'Smudger' Smith - 3 Commando Brigade  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

I am absolutely devastated to inform of the death of a fellow Commando - Andy 'Smudger' Smith who died today (8 Feb 12) whilst on exercise in Germany aged 45 years. Smudge was one of the most decent and genuine men I have ever had the priviledge of knowing. We joined the Commandos around the same time in the 80's and have been great mates since. He served many years with the Commandos, and was quite an infamous figure as the Brigade Ordnance Warrant Officer, deploying the Brigade to Afghanistan and the second Gulf War in Iraq. He left the Brigade having been awarded a C-in-C Fleet commendation and his MBE for his sterling work. He went on to be commissioned and was serving in Leconsfield near his home town of Hull where he could be near to his family.

Our thoughts are with his wife Tracey, his son Ryan, and his daughter Sophie in their time of sadness.

I will add funeral details in time.

God bless you Smudger!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/03/2012 22:19:26

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Geoff,

Terrible news mate, thoughts are with his family, I'm sure those that attend his funeral with give him the send off he deserves.

Regards,

Kev Hamilton

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff, I'm so sorry for your loss. My best to his family and friends.

- Janet
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff,
Sorry to hear about the loss of one of your friends.

May He Rest in Peace.

My thoughts and prayers are with all his family, friends and colleagues.

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Sorry to hear this Geoff........a tragedy.

God Speed 'Smudger'

Best Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Some emails for Smudger from the lads...

Absolutley gutted when face phoned me with the devastating news about smudge our thoughts are with tracy,ryan and sophie let me know when the funeral is so i can sort something out sqn
Fossy Forster

Geoff, absolutely devastated to hear the news about Smudger, we had some great times, especially during his tenure as BOWO. His road trips nearly got me divorced!!! He will be sadly missed by all. I have just arrived in Germany, Estate Managers job in Fally, but will try to attend any send off.
Still can't believe its happened.
Bill Harvey

Geoff,
Yes very sad news indeed and many thanks for letting us know. I will wait out for the funeral details.
Best regards,
Zane McGloughlin

Geoff,
Truly a sad day, so sorry to hear that. His family and the Sqn has lost an awesome character that will be missed, but never forgotten.
Spence Hogg

Andy,
Many thanks for the heads up - Very sad news indeed - My only hope is that he was up to no good at the time!!! Geoff sums the man up very succictly - I would be grateful for details of the Funeral.
Steve Crouden

Charlie Clarke also commented on Andrew Smith's photo.
Charlie wrote: "Well said Geoff i dont need to add anything else other than RIP mate and the world of love to all your family"

Geoff,
Hi mate, gutted to hear this news; I have sent it on to the two big Steve?s (Crouden & Corbidge).
Can?t believe it really, shocked.
Keep us informed.
Regards
Andy Cooke

Sad times, he was a good man, our thoughts are with all his family at this emotional time, from all troops at 383 Cdo
Bob Mann

Geoff
Sad loss pass details of send off when finalised.
Mitch Mitchelle

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for the email mate.
What a shock, I can't believe it!!
Please pass on my condolences to the family at this very difficult time.
Unfortunately I am still in Afghanistan and won't be able to make the funeral,not back until April, however they will all be in my thoughts as they say goodbye to a not so old Commando colleague (Smuddger), please send me funeral details when you know them, I will inform as many people as I can.
If there is a collection being made, just let me know, I will donate.
Smudge will always be remembered.
Sqn!!!!!
Mick Calvert

Hi Geoff,
Very sad to hear this, he was a top bloke and will be sorely missed, my thoughts are with his family and kids.
Regards
Dan Dallaire

Geoff, this very sad news. Ive let OC LS know so if there is anything the Sqn we can do in the meantime then just ask. Thinking of his family and I'm sure the Cdo Brethren will do him proud.
Mick Key

Geoff,
Stunned mate - absolutely stunned. Thanks for letting us know. Let me know if - whether as CVA or his brother commandos - I can help with anything.
Take care
Patch Reehal

Can't believe it Mate,
Enjoy life you don't know whats around the corner. Give our best to his family.
Kev Naughton

Hi Geoff,
Micky Mills also commented on Andrew Smith's photo.
Micky wrote: "Smudge...Always a smile on your face and genuine awesome banter..Respect brother!"

Geoff, I'm go smacked mate. I will hopefully be back for the funeral and we will give him the send off he deserves. Steve Walton

Geoff
Thank you .
Sorry to hear such sad sad news..
My thoughts and prayers to his family at this sad time.
Sqn
Chippy Wood

Geoff,
Anything I can do? Please give me a shout.
Duds Reid

Hi Geoff,
Karl Dagnall also commented on Andrew Smith's photo.
Karl wrote: "RIP Smudger. Our thoughts are with your family. Too young too soon. Sqn always and never forgotten."

That is so sad news to wake up too. Thoughts to his family.
Biffa Rickards

Geoff,
Terrible news mate, thoughts are with his family, I'm sure those that attend his funeral with give him the send off he deserves.
Regards,
Kev Hamilton

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 10/02/2012 20:13:55

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

More emails for Smudge....

Geoff,
Many thanks for the email, and sad news indeed. Please keep us posted on the funeral arrangements, where possible; though I'm away at present and doubt I would make it back to UK on time.
All the best, stay safe
Andy Wheatstone

Very sad news and devastating for his family; I know that the commando fraternity will do him proud in ensuring he is remembered.
Regards
Jon Symon

Really sad news, i'm sure the Cdo family will give him a great send off. i'm sure his family will be looked after too, still a bit shocked.
All the best to everyone from down under.
Kev Naughton

My sincere condolences to Smudgers family. What an absolute shock! I hope we can do him and his memory proud. United We Conquer.
Please let me know if I can do anything.
Best wishes
Adie Dance

A great bloke will not be forgotten.
Best wishes,
Sid Sidebottom

Geoff thanks for letting us know, our thoughts are with the family.
Tony Bland

A very sad day; totally shocked. RIP Smudger mate, I'm proud to have served with you. You will always be remembered.
Colin Atkinson

Rest in peace Mucka, thoughts go to your family. Sqn!!
Emmit Andrews

True friend of the family! Devastated i am, feels like yday he took me and pete on senior supplier cse!!! Told mal this morn via phone to theatre and he put phone down! Shocked aint the word. GREEN always
Maik Biggs

Our best freind in the world gone forever but never for gotten......Face Liz and David....xxx...life is so cruel Smudger but we will look after Tracy Sophie Ryan and your Mum an Dad that you can trust. We will give you a send off in style...xx....love you loads matey....always.x
Liz Mason

Squadron! RIP!
Troy Gordon

Jamie Hogg Total shocker RIP smudge

Gavin Hendry Gutted

Stephen Floyd A True Legend & Freind, RIP MATE you will be missed

Jonathan Bebbington A vibrant character, who always said things as he saw them. Sadly missed. Sqn!!

Nigel Peter Burke I am really saddened by this news. A great man who will be sadly missed by all who ever mate him . "Strength and honour" ever lasting RIP mate SQN.

Andrew Cooke Totally shocked when I got to work this morning to see the very sad news. Smudge - you were a true legend and spoke it as it was, you taught me so much in the Bde HQ as part of the G4 team. The Bde are in a far better place for your guidance. RIP Buddy, we will send you off in true Cdo style.

Tony Harrison R.I.P Smudger a sad day.

Robert Futter Only met him a few times but immediately knew he was a top bloke. He'll be missed. Sqn.

Claudia Murray Rest in Peace Smudge, gone but not forgotten! Our love to Tracy, Ryan and Sophie xx

Chris Slight Smudge, rest in peace. We will remember you...

Message from Herby: Words cannot express the tragic loss of our great friend, husband to Tracy, father to Sophie and Ryan and of course, the straight-talking indomitable Commando brother to all who have had the immense pleasure of ever meeting/serving with Smudge. You will always be in the hearts of those who've had the pleasure to meet you over the years! You'll always be remembered my friend and never forgotten - see you on the other side - RIP - SQN - Herby and family.

Stephen Sutcliffe what more can be said - total tragedy RIP mate, apologies wont be able to get to the service out of the UK at present but would like to know the details when known

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 11/02/2012 11:30:12

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Tried to call you in work mate but you were in a meeting. Do let me know if there is anything I can do to help Smudge's family or if any support is needed. Smudge was a hoofin bloke and I would love to help share any work load.
Patch Reehal

Absolutely gutted to hear about Smudge passing and will obviously make the effort to see him off Sqn style, just let us know where and when please mate.
Daz Pearce

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Sorry to hear this about yor friend Geoff. RIP Smudger

SE Donnison
[MSN]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Geoff, please pass on my sincere condolences, love and best wishes to Smudger's family. So sorry to hear this sad news. All the best, sorry that I wont be able to make it from down under.
Cheers,
Burt Reynolds

Many thanks for the info regarding the sad loss of smugder ,truley a fellow "Corps Commando" we'll give him a good send off .Stay in touch
Ian Rosales

Hi mate sad sad news about Andy (marmite) Smith it goes without saying I will be there to say goodbye and RIP to Andy with the rest of The Sqn.
I will be driving up from Pompy if anybody needs a car share ( no hats )
Regards Gaz Pascoe

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 13/02/2012 16:23:25

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Macdonald
Forum Member
[Avatar]

So sorry Geoff to hear about the loss of your friend Smudger. The man was clearly a legend.

- Commando D Living History Group -
www.commandod.com
[WWW]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

"In Northern speak" bloody sad news. Sad day, great bloke.
Regards
Jase Green

Please except my appologies as I'm now on the otherside of the world! Hope the day goes well and Smudge gets the send off he deserves!
Kia kaha to the family, and friends. Have a wet for me.
SQUADRON!
Troy Gordon

Geoff,
I will unfortunately be away in Italy for Andy?s funeral. I will of course be sending a donation to the CVA in memory of Andy.
I still find it hard to accept his untimely death.
Regards
Brad Percival

Hi Geoff - saw this CVA via Pinky Floyd. Very sad to head about Smudge Smith. The good ones die young.
Please pass my condolences to his family and the CVA.
John Tasker - Singapore

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/02/2012 14:14:08

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Dear all,

I have just received details for Smudger's funeral from Face via Smudger's mum Penny.

Date: Friday 24th February 2012

RV: Officer's Mess
DST
Normandy Barracks,
Leconfield
HU17 7LX

Time: 1030-1100hrs

Dress: Suit/Service Dress/No 2s with Green Berets if earned. Ladies equivalent.

-Coaches from DST to Funeral

Funeral: Beverley Minster
Minster Yard North
Beverley
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 0DP

Time: 1230hrs

Post funeral - Close friends and family will go to Crematorium, remainder back to DST Officers Mess for wake.

Donations: Penny has asked that there be no flowers, anyone wishing to make a donation should make it to the Commando Veterans Association (CVA Memorial Fund).

Photo Board: It is planned to have a photo board in the Mess for the wake. Please dig them out and either scan/email them to me if not attending, or bring them with you and pin them up on arrival.

Dits: Appropriate dits will be spun during the wake. Anyone with a funny story about the big Ginger Whinger should come prepared to fight Pinky Floyd for the microphone.

FOR THOSE ATTENDING:

Please email me:

No Rank Name - Accomodation requirements (i.e. 2 x pax Thu & Fri night) - Car make and VRN - to me as soon as possible.

Limited transport from Abingdon/Didcot/Bicester area available, drop me an email.

Let's give the big lad the sending off that he deserves.

Regards

Geoff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 15/02/2012 17:40:52

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Stephen Unwin
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Geoff,

so sorry to hear of such sad news, please pass on mine and Chris's heartfelt condolances, such a tragic loss of agreat man who was so popular, after having served for so long and been through so much it makes it all the more painful.

Steve & Chris

'To the skirl of pipes and in Green Beret, the men from Achnacarry led the way'
[MSN]
wobbly
Forum Member

hi geoff sorry to hear of your mate smudger may he rest in peace our thoughts are with his family. rest in peace smudger no more mud runs for you mate

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger