commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Andy 'Smudger' Smith - 3 Commando Brigade  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Email from John Symon:

Geoff,

I am off to BATUK (Kenya) tonight and not back until Friday midday. As such, I am not able to get up for Smudge's funeral.

I would be grateful if you could pass on my condolences to his family as although I have had a fair few run-in's with Smudge in the past, some physical...some less so, he was a fine soldier, a good officer but a full on bloody minded Commando and Sqn through and through; he reminds me of what Kipling wrote when he first met his first Royal Marine/Commando:

" An' after I met 'im all over the world , a-doin' all kinds of things;
Like landin' 'isself with a Gatlin' gun to talk to them 'eathen Kings.
'E sleeps [rough] instead of a cot, an' 'e drills with the deck on a slew;
'An 'e sweats like a Jolly - 'Er Majesty's Jolly - being a soldier 'an sailor too!
For there isn't job on the top 'o the earth the beggar don't know or can't do"

Smudge was more than a good Commando - although I would contest that this adjective i.e. the term 'good commando' has no superlative or comparative as once you have joined the brotherhood and earned the coveted green beret there has never been anything better than a 'commando' nor will there ever be.

Smudge was one of us - all ginger and loud and in your face - but he was one of us, a brother, proven, committed to his Queen and Country and unfailing in his Service - he will be missed.

I hope you can pass this onto those that should wish to see it.

Warm Regards

Jon Symon
Lieutenant Colonel
Sqn Comd 2000 - 2002

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Nev Charlton
Forum Member

Geoff,
Truly saddened by this news, please pass on my condolences to Smudger family.

Regards
Nev (Billy) Charlton

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger