commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for info on Harold Hughes 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
jim webster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I have attached front and back photos of my dads old para smock.It's very faded due to washing every week after he gave it to me wear to go rough shooting.There is no makers label only identifying marks are on the brass studs which read "PAT NEWEY 201430-22"
[Thumb - webster smock front.jpg]
 Filename webster smock front.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 2685 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  650 time(s)

[Thumb - webster smock back.jpg]
 Filename webster smock back.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 2770 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  622 time(s)

jim webster proud son of Sgt Doug Webster 2 commando 4 troop.
[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Nice smock. The commandos always cut the crotch flap off. Its actually better yours still has it though. Worth a few bob now you know, they sell for many hundreds of pounds on eBay, Its amazing what some people will pay for smelly old clothes these days!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/05/2009 13:24:59

jim webster
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Will never be for sale, will be passed down to my kids when i´ve gone!

jim webster proud son of Sgt Doug Webster 2 commando 4 troop.
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Good for you Jim!

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Wow ? I?ve been away for a few days and there has been some fascinating info as a result of the LCI photo!

Firstly thanks all for the Denison smock thread, its just this kind of thing that makes researching the commandos so fascinating, and Jim that?s an wonderful item - hang on tight to it. We had virtually nothing until my brother turned my mums loft upside down at the weekend and found Harold?s shoulder flashes ? big result for us!! Really pleased and we can now get these framed with his medals and picture.

Stephane, thanks for your help and fingers crossed. My brother has been in touch with Fred Walker who did not know Harold but is taking his picture to Normandy with him this year to pass around.

Apparently Fred is an absolute star and has some fascinating memories. He was on the LCI next to 6 troops and saw it hit, apparently the ordnance went up too and caused much of the damage/casualties. Fred said many of the guys with experience at Dieppe and other missions were on this LCI. Shortly after he landed the remainder of 6 troop made their way up the beach. Fred met up with a friend that had been in Dieppe who was in some state of shock but rather than find a medic and turn back he pushed on and fought for another two days before being KIA ? what can you say, really leaves you speechless.

Thanks again and I?ll post any more info we uncover.

Nick

Nick

Grandson of Harold W. Hughes 3Cdo
Danny L
Forum Member

Hi,
Hope you don?t mind me jumping in with some information on the LCI(s) in the photo taken at Warsash.

The number of the LCI(s) is LCI(s) 509. The ?290? number is the ?Landing Table Index Number? (LTIN) allocated to each landing craft in the invasion fleet.

LCI(s) 509 hit a mine on the run in which I believe exploded on the port side under the front troop compartment. She remained on the beach with LCI(s) 512 for a couple of years after the landings.

The men in the Para Smocks maybe from the 2nd Airlanding Light Anti-Aircraft Battery R.A. 5 men from this unit were on this LCI(s). 50 men from this unit were spread between the LCI(s) carrying the Commandos. If you have seen the other photos in this batch of photos taken at Warsash you may notice a couple more wearing smocks appearing in them.

The LCI(s) in the background with ?533 202? on the bows is LCI(s) 533 which carried 48 RM Commando. ?202? is the Flotilla number.

LCI(s) 509 was in 201 Flotilla. Their markings were not the same as 202 Flotilla and did not have the Flotilla number painted on as part of the Pennant Number.

According to the LTIN list LCI(s) 509 carried 83 Commandos from 3 Commando.

The LCI(s) in the photo are 512 on left, 509 centre, 535 on right and 501 is just off camera to the right.

Regards

Danny
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Nice bit of research Danny, thank you.
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Danny

Thanks for your post, which really helps ? I?ve been struggling to find out what happened with the LCI. There appear to be various accounts from the war diary and anecdotal records (including Peter Young?s book Storm From The Sea) and first hand accounts from veterans including Fred Walker who said he didn?t know if a shell or mine hit 509. I have also sent you a PM.

Re: my previous post, the Commando Fred admired for fighting on after escaping the LCI hit was George Herbert (photo in gallery).

Nick

Nick

Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

All

There has been a significant twist - My brother has been speaking to a military historian who has documents that say Harold was in 3Cdo 2 troop not 6 troop as we originally understood.

(I believed Harold to be in 6 troop from a local history book that said he was but we?ve spoken to the author of that book and we think because Harold was MIA on D-Day and from 3Cdo he concluded he was most likely in 6 troop due to the number of casualties they suffered).

This is great news as we can confidently place Harold in 2 troop, but so far I have been focusing on 6 troop, so does anyone have any info on 2 troop?

Many thanks

Nick

Nick

chris handforth
Forum Member

Hi. I have just read your message. My father was the skipper of LCI (L) 509. He landed at Arromanches in front of a lighthouse there which housed German snipers. I've never managed to trace any of the crew. Chris Handforth
Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Chris

Thanks for making contact and for the information. I hope the LCI photo i posted is of interest to you and the various associated posts provide interesting detail on your fathers brave action during the landings.

Might i suggest that you make contact with Danny L through the forum, he is undertaking in-depth research into the D-Day landings and i know would be keen to hear from you.

It may be worth contacting the LST and Landing Craft Association if you have not already, to see if they can help trace any of the crew of 509 - web address:

http://www.lstlandingcraftassoc.org/

Regards

Nick

Nick

Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Got a photo taken of my granddads shoulder titles. These are three that didn't get used and are still in a strip as he received them. I've not seen that before.

Nick
[Thumb - H W Hughes 3Cdo Shoulder Titles.jpg]
 Filename H W Hughes 3Cdo Shoulder Titles.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description H W Hughes 3Cdo Shoulder Titles
 Filesize 58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  600 time(s)

Nick

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello NICK

This is photo about 2 Troop 3 cdo taken in ITALY 1943.
I'll come back with photo of 2 Troop just before Normandy.
sincerely

stéphane
[Thumb - 3 commando 2 Troop ITALY 1943.JPG]
 Filename 3 commando 2 Troop ITALY 1943.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 459 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  719 time(s)

Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Stéphane

once again many thanks, and frustratingly my elusive grandfather is missing! Hopefully he?ll be on the picture from just before d-day and I look forward to seeing it.

I popped into Cheltenham library and got a copy of an obituary from Oct 9th 1944, poor quality as the Gloucester echo is all on microfiche.

Nick
[Thumb - H W Hughes obit Glos Echo 091044.jpg]
 Filename H W Hughes obit Glos Echo 091044.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1873 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  674 time(s)

Nick

Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi All

re: my earlier post
Just got through a photo of my grandfather's two friends on motorbikes. The pictures a bit blurred but someone might recognise them. We assume they served with him - anyone any ideas?

Via a CVA forum PM I have been fortunate to contact Judi Kemp daughter of Lt Mike Scovell 3Cdo 2 troop http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/986.page

who with her mum has been able to identify the guys on Welbikes in the photo taken by my gf as Lt Mike Scovell (left) and Cpl Jack Carter both 3Cdo 2 troop. We are delighted that Judi has been able to help ID two of my gf's friends and this strongly points to Harold being in 2 troop.

Thanks Judi!!

Nick
p.s. if anyone knows how to update the gallery pic with names please do! (Pete??)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/06/2009 20:22:46

Nick

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger