commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for info on Harold Hughes 3 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
GUY
Forum Member

Stephane,
Les Jordan (L.C.I.(S)530) inadvertently switched the Landing Table Index Numbers for No.3 Commando and 45 R.M. Commando when he transcribed the original document, part of Lt.Cdr. Curtis' 'Chronicles of D-Day'.

On D Day 45 RM Commando LCI's L.T.I.N. were 284-288 and 3 Commando's were 289-293.

Discussing the L.T.I.N. in a thread on WW2 Talk in 2015, Colin Henderson provided a Warsash berthing plan to confirm the correct numbers. The berthing plan came from Lt. Cdr. Jack Deslandes of L.C.I.(s) 518 (284) which carried elements of 45 R.M. Commando to Sword.

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/landing-craft-colours-for-d-day.58118/

Several men from 3 Commando have also been identified aboard L.C.I.(S) 289,290,291 at Warsash on the 5th June 1944.

http://forum.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/15/834.page

Guy
[Thumb - L.T.I.N. Incorrect.png]
 Filename L.T.I.N. Incorrect.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 338 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  437 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 19/10/2018 21:38:51

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bonjour Guy.

Thank you. I read with great interest the forum on WW2 Talk. I met Colin years ago, he try to contact me few months ago, but no more news.
Anyway, don't know if it's mine who has trouble to understand but on this forum, these few words from Colin about the photo with the three LCI before leaving Warsah

" For H39041 (just before leaving for Warsash) 21 members of A Troop 45 RM Commando have been identified."

And i recall years ago, he told me on the 289 we could see an AFPU man with 45 RM cdo.

Needs to be in touch with Colin for "more light" !!!! ) )

Will see in other of my boxes what i've !

Best regards

stéphane
Colin Henderson
Forum Member

Hi Guy and Stéphane,

Sorry about my absence without leave!
No excuse from now on as I've retired from a very full time job.
It's always very frustrating not to have enough time to work on historical investigations.

I mentioned in the forum Stéphane refers to that I had the names of quite a few commandos in 2 photos taken by Capt Leslie Evans on June 5th:

H39038: photo of part of 'A' troop 45 RM Commando just before they left the camp for Warsash.
Marine Fred Harris sent me a copy of this photo with the names of all the 21 commandos from A Troop.
I corresponded with Fred for about 10 years. His last letter was a wad of interesting documents and photos about 45 RM Cdo,

H39041 : 3 Commando LCI(s) at Warsash (512, 509 & 535). I attended a Commando Association meeting at the Union Jack Club in 1998 and brought this photo along with me. Bert Britnell, Freddie Walker, Roy Cadman and others identified about 15 commandos in this photo. I identified Peter Corliss the midshipman of 512 standing on the bridge and he confirmed this.

B Beddows
(+Commando recognised by Beddows, killed at Merville on 7th June)
Ron Gower
Curly Merson
Puch Saunders
Gunge Chivers
Bert Nuttal
Lt Gordon Pollard (to check)
Reg Sterry
Lt Wardle
Jock Hanton
Capt Brian Butler (or Capt Clive Collins ?)
Bert Chillingworth
Mid Peter Corliss LCI(s) 512

I would like to post Fred Harris' documents both on commandveterans.org and ww2talk.com
Where would be the best place on each site?

I would also like to post all the documents that Les Jordan (LCI(s) 530 sent to me.
Plus lots of photos & films of commando reunions and D-Day commemorations.

Could you let me know about the size limitations?

All the best
Colin

[Thumb - 3 Cdo on LCIs 512 & 509.jpg]
 Filename 3 Cdo on LCIs 512 & 509.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 7 commandos on LCI(s) 512 & 509
 Filesize 99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  368 time(s)

[Thumb - H39038 A troop 45 RM Cdo Slide 2.png]
 Filename H39038 A troop 45 RM Cdo Slide 2.png [Disk] Download
 Description 21 names of A Tp 45 RM Cdo on June 5th
 Filesize 244 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  375 time(s)

[Thumb - H39038 A troop 45 RM Cdo Slide 3.png]
 Filename H39038 A troop 45 RM Cdo Slide 3.png [Disk] Download
 Description Fred Harris list of 21 names of A tp
 Filesize 451 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  393 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Colin

Can you email me direct on this on my email address below this message and let me know approximately how many photos, documents and films you are referring to.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
SuzeV123
Forum Member
[Avatar]

My uncle Pte Chas Thomas Vernon was on 501/293 LCI (s) Fell Coleville Sur Orne/Montgomery on 6th June.
Buried at Hermanville ... Perhaps some one can confirm.. Stephane maybe if Pte Hughes lays near to Chas.

I have never found an STILL of LCI s 501/293. I have found footage with the Commandos embarking at Warsash onto 293 - does anyone know if you can create stills from fim footage.

Also if any one has any info slightly related to LCI s 501/293 I believe 5 TROOP ? but never found any confirmation of this or seen him in troop photos....

Very new to Commandos and straight into Op Neptune and fell.

Was in South Staffs.

From Enfield

hope some one has any thing to add :)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/01/2020 20:44:53

Trying to find anyone that has connections, info of their journey from Commando training prior of which we believe was only few weeks before he ended up at Warshas...waiting to embark on LCI's to go tie up @ Calshot, then ties up @ Stokes bay. 21.30 hrs slip & sail in convoy with Force 'S'.

Any info on their life & the events running up to 6th June. We believe he died as he approached a marshy water logged firld beyond the beach. LCI 301?
QUESTIONING WAS HE PART 3 TROOP NO 3 COMMANDO? WAS HE HQ SIGNALLER. A LOT OF RESEARCH TO COME.

Our dear Joe is laid to rest @ Hermanville, for ever in our hearts.
[Email] [Yahoo!]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger