commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Lt Edward MacDonald  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Troy
Forum Member

Hello I was looking on the internet and came across a picture with David Stirling and a Lt Edward MacDonald , I've searched the internet and cannot find anything about Lt Edward MacDonald , does anyone know if he survived the war ? Troy
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Troy,
Ed MacDonald as far as I am aware survived the war, initially he was a Cameron Highlander and volunteered for the Commandos and served with 11 (Scottish) Commando and went to the ME as part of Layforce, he took part in Operation Exporter in June 1941 and later volunteered for L Detatchment. As a La nce Sergeant on the Nominal Roll he is not allocated to a Troop, Section or Group but was on Operation Squatter and was part of Maynes Flight No. 5.
He crops up now and then and most likely served with Stirlings B Squadron.
During the desert campaign he was commissioned into the West Yorkshire Regt. He was attached to 2/Seaforths befire later joining B Company 5/Camerons and served in NWE from 1944 onwards
Kind regards,
Alan.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 23/01/2024 20:11:26

Troy
Forum Member

Thanks Alan for the reply , it's actually crazy that there is not one thing on the internet I could find about him besides the picture of him in the Willys Jeep with sterling standing
beside him. When I searched I found a couple different model kit busts of him that you can buy and build and they even have a Military action figure of him . Just being able to buy toys and models that are supposed to be him you would think there would be some more information about him and his war time service and even his life after the military . I do have to say the picture on the net with him and the group of SAS in the jeeps speaks volumes . Maybe someone needs to write a book .

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger