commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Information sought regarding No.4 Commando & Layforce Soldier  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Fatboy Bootneck
Forum Member

I am a serving Royal Marine trying to discover some information about the gentleman outlined below. I am in possession of his service file, but am trying to obtain a photograph, or find anyone who may remember him.

The gentleman I am interested in is:-

William Charles Britten, joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment on 2nd November 1937 (Army number 5109799), and joined No.4 Commando, then was selected to join Layforce in Crete in 1941. It was here that he was captured on 2nd June 1941 with "A" Bn Layforce.

Should anyone be able to help me with regards to my research, or fill in any gaps of his service, then I would be most grateful.
GrahamCooper
Forum Member

Hi
There is a reference to a William Charles Britten in the "old" Commando Association news letter No 94 dated March 1992.Obituary.
Quote "Private William Charles Britten, 4 and 7 Cdo of Southampton.
These news letters were produced in March and September each year so the assumption would be he passed away perhaps between Sept 1991 and March 1992.
Hope this helps in some small way.
Regards
Graham

By their deeds they shall be known
[Email]
Fatboy Bootneck
Forum Member

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for that, is there any chance of a scan of that at all? He died 8th Jan 1992, I have his death certificate, but to get a copy of that announcement would be great. As a matter of interest, would you happen to know how I can go about finding out what troop he was in? I have a copy of the list of the men of "A" Battalion captured at Crete, but I'd like to try to put the men into some kind of orbat if that is still possible. Any input, or idea of how to go about this would be gratefully received.
Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi
is there any chance that you could post a copy of the list of the captured men from 7 Commando as I would be most interested to see it with a possible view of starting a Nominal Roll for this Commando.
The men from 4 Commando joined 7 Commando just before 7 embarked for the Middle East to make up the numbers after quite a few of 7 Commando were unable to return after embarkation leave due to adverse weather conditions.
One other 4 Commando who went to 7 Commando was Charlie Cattell who later went on to become one of the ' Originals' in L Detachment, Arthur Phillips was another I believe from 7 Commando who also went on to the SAS at the beginning, he was a Royal Warwick's man so it could also be that he started in 4 Commando as well.
Regards,
Alan.
Fatboy Bootneck
Forum Member

Hi Alan,

I'll be more than happy to do that, please just bear with me, as I am very busy at work, and my first child is due at any moment. If I haven't done it in a couple of weeks time, PM me to remind me. As a matter of interest do you know of any 7 Commando Veterans still alive?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 18/06/2013 12:01:41

Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks for that I look forward to seeing it. Good luck with the impending birth of your first I hope it all goes well for you all.
I'm not personally aware of any surviving 7 Commandos but i'm sure someone out there may have some info.
Thanks again,
Kind regards,
Alan.
sifra_1
Forum Member

I am interested in tracing my father's track through the Commandos.

Originally, he was in the Lancashire Fusiliers, BEF, and was evacuated back to England, via La Penne after the fall of Dunkirk.

He joined the Commandos.

He was involved in Crete, but escaped on one of the last ships out.
I have an interesting story he wrote while on a submariner patrol out of Malta, in Jan 1943 ? HMS United, and it?s sinking of the Italian destroyer, Bombardiere ? 10th Commando.
Later, he joined the Paras, and was involved in Sicily, and finally Arnhem. A company, 2nd Battation. More interesting stories and contacts of the Dutch family who looked after him, in Ede, after he and a fellow officer, escaped from hospital

I have his army record, but that makes no mention of his involvement in the Commandos.

Could you point me in a direction that might lead me finding more information?
Regards,
Simon Frank

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger