commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Henry 'Harry' Carpenter No. 4 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
richardesigner
Forum Member

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me with any information on my grandfather Henry 'Harry' Carpenter. According to my mum he was in No. 4 Commando. We know this because he is in one of the photos that was taken at Dieppe with Lord Lovat.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Richard Haywood

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/04/2013 01:11:23

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Richard

There is no one list that we can refer to for Commando Service, however there are smaller nominal rolls for specific events or periods that sometimes can help. At the present time I personally cannot find any information on your Grandfather to help you.

When you say
We know this because he is in one of the photos that was taken at Dieppe with Lord Lovat.
which photo are you referring to and where is he on that photo? Does your Mum or any other member of the extended family possess anything else relating to his Commando service such as documents or family photos? What Regiment was he in prior to the Commandos ?

You can apply for a copy of his Service Record, but it might be worth checking amongst the extended family first, for some additional information that will help in any application that you subsequently make

Regards

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
richardesigner
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for replying. I have a few photos which have pictures of my grandfather on them. How do I upload them so you can see them.

As regards the Dieppe photo. He is shown in the background of the photo where Lord Lovat is gesturing in the background. In the foreground are Captain Gordon Webb and Lt Len Coulson. Webb is shown with his right arm in a sling. If you look right at the end of Webbs nose that is my grandfathers face looking straight at you.

I've just spoken with my Mum and I can relay some further information which may or may not help. She told me that a lot of what she has heard and what her mother (my Grandmother) heard could have got distorted/forgotten/re-rembered over the years,. But apparently:

1. He never really spoke about the war.
2. He told my Dad something about 'heavy water'.
3. He would wake up opening his eyes first and not moving.
4. He apparently trained 'Bristol way' according to my Grandmother.
5. He only spoke about being one of Lord Lovat commando's so we're not sure which one he was in. We think No. 4 but we could be wrong.
6. He was definitely at Dieppe. He had the Combined Operations booklet and always said that he was the man in the picture I've described to you.
7. He lied about his age (even to my Grandmother). He was 39 in 1940. Apparently he usually took ten years off his age. He was born in 1900.
8. He had lived all his life in Chiswick, London and he would have joined up there.
9. He had been a boxer between the wars.
10. He had driven a London bus between the wars.
11. He was aboard ships before joining the commandos. I have copies of photos that he took. One is a picture of a boat in the mid ground with the number H53 on the side. Others show torpedo tubes and a torpedo goinginto the water.
12. He was not a commando at the end of the war. We think he was injured.
13. He definitely was barracked in Ripley, Derbyshire. Thats how he met my grandmother who lived in Nottingham.
14. He was stationed in Ireland at some point (but not with the commando's.
15. Mum says he told her that if Hitler had invaded he had a special job to do (he wouldn't say what that was).
16. He told my Mum that we wore a different badge when he was in another unit.

Sorry its so patchy. Its all a bit of a muddle and we have had real difficulty finding anything out. This is all the information we have to go on I'm afraid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Richard

GUY
Forum Member

Richard,

In answer to no.11, H53 was the Destroyer, HMS Dainty, lost off Tobruk in 1941.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dainty_%28H53%29

Regards

Guy
richardesigner
Forum Member

Hi Guy,

Yes I googled H53 shortly after I sent my e-mail and like you I came across the Wikipedia page for HMS Dainty. I wonder how this factors in with the chronology of my grandfathers life? Did he take this photo before or after he joined the commandos?

I'll try and attach the photograph to this message.

Kind regards,

Richard

[Thumb - Smoking ship 1.jpg]
 Filename Smoking ship 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description HMS Dainty
 Filesize 273 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  341 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 27/04/2013 15:52:50

richardesigner
Forum Member

Now that I've figured out how to upload my photos I'll attach some of my grandfather.

The attached scans are of the book 'Combined Operations 1940-1942'.

The first picture is the book cover. The second is Page 129. My grandfather is circled in red. The third picture is a close up of my grandfather on page 129.

If anyone recognises my grandfather please get in touch. Also if he is in this picture does this mean he was definitely in Commando No. 4?

I'll also attach some more photos of my grandfather in another message.

Many thanks,

Richard

[Thumb - Combined Operations Page 129.jpg]
 Filename Combined Operations Page 129.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Combined Operations Page 129
 Filesize 226 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  367 time(s)

[Thumb - Combined Operations Close Up Page 129.jpg]
 Filename Combined Operations Close Up Page 129.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Combined Operations Close Up Page 129
 Filesize 166 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  347 time(s)

[Thumb - Combined Operations Cover.jpg]
 Filename Combined Operations Cover.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Combined Operations Cover
 Filesize 321 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  348 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 27/04/2013 22:40:32

richardesigner
Forum Member

Two photographs of my grandfather when he was in the army. We have no idea where they were taken. We only know that they were taken whilst he was in the army before he joined the commandos. Does anyone have any idea where these photographs may have been taken and which regiment he might have been in. Also do you recognise anyone in these photographs?

Kind regards,

Richard
[Thumb - Army Photo 1RGB.jpg]
 Filename Army Photo 1RGB.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Army Photo 1
 Filesize 513 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  331 time(s)

[Thumb - Army Photo 2RGB.jpg]
 Filename Army Photo 2RGB.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Army Photo 2
 Filesize 295 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  372 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 27/04/2013 16:23:16

GUY
Forum Member

Richard,
You metioned in your post about Ripley, Derbyshire. There was a RASC Transport school at Ripley during the war. Men were posted there on driving courses. Many of the NCO's were older, ex London Transport men, this would tie in with your Grandfathers pre-war bus experience. It may suggest a RASC connection either pre or post 4 Commando?

Regards

Guy
richardesigner
Forum Member

Hi Guy,

Many thanks for your post.

I phoned my Mum this evening and told her what you had written. It certainly struck a chord! She said the words 'RASC' and 'service corp' were definitely something she had heard when she was younger. She could even recall that her mother had told her that the scar on my grandfathers forehead was the result of an accident whilst he was in the 'corp'.

She also said that my grandfather was definitely billeted in Ripley in 1944 (my mother was born in August 1945 - if you understand my meaning). Do you know if there are any records kept of the people who attended this school. This might be a great way of tracking down his service record.

My mother also told me that before my grandfather was billeted in Ripley he was in Ballymena, Ireland. She has no idea what he was doing in Ireland.

At the moment we think that maybe the sequence of events is that he joined up in 1939, transferred to the Commandos (possibly No.4 - as he always recounted that he was one of Lord Lovat's commandos), was injured and then transferred back to his original regiment - could that have been the RASC? He definitely wasn't in the commandos at the end of the war.

Mum also said that 'commandos were recognisable because they wore a different badge'. I think this might be when he was in training, in a different regiment, or injured out of the commandos. Can anyone throw any light on this?

I think thats it for the time being. Again many thanks for your post Guy - its really helped!

Kind regards,

Richard

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger