commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Matt_3545
Forum Index » Profile for Matt_3545 » Messages posted by Matt_3545
Apologies for this ridiculously delayed response. Life and work just got in the way for a while.

Pete - Thank you for adding my grandfather to the photo archive. He died on 07 Dec 1975 and my surname is Bourne.

Jeff - Do you have a link that you could send so that I can have a look at getting a copy of those books?

You've both been a great help.

Matt

Thank you all very much. That'll give me loads to look in to Really appreciate the help!

Matt
Pete,

This will be a great help in tracing more of his history. I've attached a picture of his Certificate of Service which makes his number out as PLYX110193.

I don't suppose you could give any indication as to what entries 3 and 4 might be on his service record (Pyr... and Ras...)?

Matt
Hi all,

I'm trying to do a bit of digging into the service history of my grandad. Although I've got his service record, it doesn't specify which Commando unit he was with once he had re-trained as a Commando, or give much detail about his pre-Commando service life. Any help would be really appreciated.

This is what I've found out so far (feel free to correct me):

? Plymouth Division. 9 Company 11 Apr 40 ? 26 Apr 40
Royal Marine training depot?

? HBL Operation Maurice[?] 27 Apr 40 ? 30 June 41
Home Base Ledger Operation Maurice.
Operation in Norway. Possibly part of Fortress Unit I or II which later became MNBDO II.

? Pyra[illegible] 1 July 41 ? 20 Aug 41
Cannot read handwriting.

? Ras[illegible] 21 Aug 41 ? 27 Oct 42
Cannot read handwriting.

? HBL 2nd RM [Group?] MNBDO 26 Oct 42 ? 14 March 44
Home Base Ledger 2nd Royal Marines [Group?] Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation.
Possibly an anti-aircraft gunner based in Ceylon, Sri Lanka as part of 2nd R.M. A.A. Regiment

? HBL RMTG 15 Mar 44 ? 27 May 44
Home Base Ledger Royal Marine Training Group.
Brigade HQ was disbanded on 17 May 44 with personnel being re-mustered as commandos, landing craft operators and other duties. These 6 weeks are where he would have done his commando training.

? HBL RM CDOS 28 May 44 ? 4 Sep 45
Home Base Ledger Royal Marine Commandos.
Possibly No. 6 Commando, 1st Special Service Brigade (later 1st Commando Brigade).

? Wounded in Action 29 Apr 1945 crossing the River Elbe (Operation Enterprise?).
This is what I was told my my mother and grandmother. Have supporting information regarding his wounds but not where they were sustained etc.

Forum Index » Profile for Matt_3545 » Messages posted by Matt_3545
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger