commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: A.Berlin
Forum Index » Profile for A.Berlin » Messages posted by A.Berlin
My father , known as Sgt Leonard Burley No. 14400852 (born 29/6/1921) joined the Dorsets in the 1940s (1942 or 1943) After turning down a posting with SOE he joined the Commandos.

He will be turning 100 in a few weeks and I cam compiling a book of his interesting century. I am imagine one of very few surviving WW2 veterans

I have been looking through all the post on this very full site and thought I would send the Commando Service Cert (the only document I can find).

I note he is in the Roll for No.10 commando -( listed as a pt nor Sgt ) ...but not included in No. 9. roll

I have looked at all the photos but do not see him in any (he is very distinctive as he is 6ft 2ins - often known as Tiny. ) I think he may have been shy of being photographed but would love to know if there are any pictures at all

My father has an interesting history - like many in Troop3 I imagine . His real name is Ludwig Berlin (changed for military security purposes) - he was born in Nuremberg in Germany . He arrived, aged 18, as a refugee in the UK and spent a year interned on the Isle of Man. He then worked for a demolition mob in the blitz making bombed buildings safe. In 1942 he enlisted initially to the Pioneer Corps then the Dorsets and after basic training transferred to commando training . He was exceptionally fit - a sprinter and shot putter . During training in Scotland he was also entered into a boxing competition which he hated and was relieved to be knocked out after 2 rounds. He likes to tell of how his group of 6 recruits raced to get back to Barracks (he says because the first group back got double rations) On the last Scottish hill he would carry all 6 packs and run! According to my father they got the double rations and - as a life long vegetarian - he always traded his meat for spuds and pud.

He saw active service in Greece and Italy. He was at Monte Cassino and Lago Comacchio - an experience he found very traumatic .
I suspect he will be one of the oldest surviving veterans of No 9 and Troop 3 Perhaps this is something that could be included in a newsletter or blog?

I attach his service cert with correct info and dates for the record

I look forward to hearing if there is any more info or pictures about his training or service - to add the Birthday Book

many thanks

Anita Berlin

Forum Index » Profile for A.Berlin » Messages posted by A.Berlin
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger