commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Neil Leo
Forum Index » Profile for Neil Leo » Messages posted by Neil Leo
Thank you so much Pete, this is a great help.

I can also make out "LM" on the service records, which would match what you say about the other potential roles in the Royal Marines. Do you know of anyway to dig deeper to what that role might of been? Can it be sourced through rank or unit?

All the best

Neil Leo
Hi Tim,

How have you progressed in your search? I have just received my Grandfathers service records and it would seem he also served in the MNBDO II. It would seem he moved to this unit in August 1942 and was wounded at some stage in 1943, finally moved out of the unit in May 44 it seems. He had told me before he passed that he did land in Sicily, at night from memory and he also has the Africa and Italy medals. I have only just received the records today, so still fresh in finding information, though it would be great to share notes and see what we can find out together.

Hi Everyone,
I have received my Grandfathers service records today and so new to this forum. I am trying to decode the handwriting and abbreviations that are listed on his service records, so would love any advice or help to get a more defined picture of the unit my Grandfather was in and where he possibly fought, so I can create a clear narrative for my Mother. I can decipher the following so far

Roland Manning POX107121
Enlisted August 1941 at Fort Cumberland
It seems to say that he was initially enlisted as a Marine M.T Driver?
I read it as joining MNDO II on the 1st of August 1942 to the second of May 1944
It seems he was wounded in war service with the date as 31st December 1943, though this does not seem to match what I can on the service record
The medal sheet includes Africa and Italy as well as the defense medal, war medal and 1939-45

Any advice on how to gather more information, or how to understand the 1940s hand writing better would be much appreciated.

Forum Index » Profile for Neil Leo » Messages posted by Neil Leo
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger