commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Panther
Forum Index » Profile for Panther » Messages posted by Panther
Hi Phil,
we don't know wether he claimed the medals or not, the person who might know is in Hospital at the moment,
if they were Issued it would be noce to locate them - he comes from a big family so someone might have them ?
Hi Bill,
thanks for finding this and sharing,
some of my family are planning a trip there this summer, to meet "newly discovered" family members and to pay respects at the grave.
Cheers Craig,
looking forwarding to learning as much as possible about Alexander and his Unit(s) places served and more
Morning Phil,

Did wonder about covid delaying records been sent back,
my family has waited 75 years to discover Aexander Wylie so guess a few more weeks will not be a problem.

Regarding medals ? is that not included with the service records ?
i am sure someone here will point me in the right direction,
i have recieved a lot of interesting information in the last few days on this forum - much appreciated everyone.
Hi Craig,
Service records request sent off today, not sure how long it takes ?
I will definitely post the results here,
i am hoping that someone will help me understand the records - especially Military terms and language.
just name and photo, told he was in Army and served in Iceland, if the cap badge had not been recognised i would have been applying for non existant Army records
Hello Craig, Thank you for the comments on the photo,

we have only in the last 10 days or so, found out that he his one of our family,
also the first time we have seen the photo,

Although up to earlier this month we had never heard of him before (or seen the photo) we are obviously very proud to know he served his Country and I will be applying for his service records to (hopefully) learn more about him.

Some of our family are also planning a trip to Scotland to visit his grave and to meet other (new to us) family members.

we welcome any Informaton on both Alexander, possible units and locatons he might have served in, we did not know that we had occupied Iceland and the Faroes until now, one of the family asked about the white belt ???

until we recieve the service records I guess we will not know what medals he was entitled to ? Indeed if claimed - what happened to them ?
he married after the war, had one son who died without marrying (as far as we know), his wife also passed on.
Thanks Pete,
I have just emailed the Association in case they know anything post war, thanks for the help
Thank you Nick, thats very Interesting to learn, much appreciated
Hello, We have a family member who may or may not have served as a Commando ?
We have a digital photo so cannot enhance it, do not know the date taken either
we know he served in Iceland
we know nothing more
Applying for service records requires us to apply either Army or Navy/Marines - we accept we may have to apply twice !

the photo shows him wearing white belt

Alexander Smart Wylie
Birth 11 JUN 1914 Crianlarich, Perthshire, Scotland
Death 19 JAN 1970 Dalmally, Argyll, Scotland

Thanks

Forum Index » Profile for Panther » Messages posted by Panther
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger