commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: geoffmurray1
Forum Index » Profile for geoffmurray1 » Messages posted by geoffmurray1
Hi Martin, I have always been intrigued by No 10(IA) Cdo, more than any other due to it's diversity and how very awkward it must have been to command and control. The only info I am aware of regarding Czech tps are the eight that were part of the lead element of 3(X) Tp, later 3 (Misc) Tp. They were headed up by Capt Hilton-Jones RA (OC 3 Tp) who later became 2IC and then CO of 10(IA) Cdo. They joined No 10 on 24 July '42 after training in Wales.
A couple of books you may already have -

Osprey Series No 142 - No 10 (Inter-Allied) Commando 1942-45 by Nick van der Bijl BEM

Ten Commando 1942-1945 by Ian Dear (see page 7)

Good luck.
We do have a Gerald Anthony Wood (also No 1 Cdo) who is a member of the CVA. What a coincidence.

GM
Remember postage (under 2kg) remains FREE!
The classic book by James Dunning (No 4 Cdo) 'It Had to Be Tough: The Fascinating Story of the Origins of the Commandos and Their Special Training in World War II' which is now extremely hard to come by, has now been re-published by US printers Paladin Press under the new title 'The British Commandos - The Origins and Special Training of an Elite Unit'. Go to www.paladinpress.com (cost $20). Jimmy, who also wrote 'The Fighting Fourth' is still very much alive and kicking and still involved with the Commando Benevolent Fund.
Here are some good reads that were put out a couple of newsletters ago. There are many more that we can add, however I will be discussing with Dan at FW next week the possibility of having a page added where we can add books and leave 'constructive and worthwhile' feedback. Kind regards. Geoff
There are still TWIN rooms available at the Alexandra. Give the Secretary a call before Tuesday 6th. Bob and Janet, really looking forward to meeting you both, have a safe trip over.
My joke was pretty bad John, but thanks for taking the pressure off! See you next week.

G
Thursday 8th : train departure time for Mallaig yet to be confirmed.
Friday 9th: Coach trip to Achnacarry departs Alex 0900hrs for Ben Nevis Hotel and Achnacarry. Return reverse route from Achnacarry 1130hrs.
Visit to Lochaber High School, coach departs Alex (via Ben Nevis Hotel) at 1330hrs. Return reverse route 1600hrs.
Sunday 11th: Coach from Alex (via Ben Nevis Hotel) to Spean Bridge Memorial (dropping off marchers at lay-by on hill) and then to Spean Bridge Hotel on completion of parade. Return reverse route approx 1730hrs.

The coach trips will be on a 'pay-as-you-ride' basis. Anyone wishing to utilise coaches are to contact the Secretary ASAP only if they have not already done so.

Please respond to this message using 'pm' (personal message facility) only.
There was a Branson actually, they had to let him go after he got himself into a bit of a pickle........

One of main prizes will be large Xmas Hamper (incl. pickle). UK ticket holders only I'm afraid!!

Geoff
Hi, the prizes for the draw this year are going to have to be sur-prizes. As I have just returned to UK, I have not had a chance to pull any prizes in as yet, however I am sure we will have a range as good as, if not better than previous years. As I get them in I will try to post them on this thread. Kind regards...Geoff
ps. If anyone has anything to donate please get in touch via my hotmail address. Thanks
This badge belongs to a Navy Commando who had his jacket cleaned and the badge was ruined. He is quite upset and his grand-daughter would be delighted if she could replace it for him. If anyone owns one, or knows of anyone who owns one, then could they take a picture of it and send it to me so that we can get a copy made. Alternatively, if anyone knows who made these or has one on offer, again please let me know.
Thanks
Apologies for the delay however Issue 10 of Dispatches is now with the printer and should be on your doorstep next week. It has all of the details and lots of pics from the unveiling and as as much information I could muster whilst out in AG. Accompanying the newsletter will be a booking form for the AGM and Remembrance weekend in November at Fort William and a book of Raffle tickets. If you are attending the AGM please complete the booking form and send it off as soon as possible. If you require more draw tickets please just call and I will get them to you. If anyone would like to donate anything to the draw please feel free (small items preferable due to postage etc). Hope you like the Newsletter, I return to UK in 3 weeks, if any of you have anything outstanding please call me then. Look forward to seeing you all in FW.
All the best.
Hi Steve, 2005 was the last time I did the Commando March, so we were probably alongside each other at some point. Our Commando Loggie team were 2nd in 2004 and 2005. I'm going to attempt to rally a team together next year and run it for the CVA, will hopefully give us a cracking media/recruiting opportunity both national/local papers and within the Commando Brigade.
I considered adding this to the AGM weekend itinerary...Saturday morning sponsored Speed March for the Commando Benevolent Fund. Will raise it at the AGM this year.(Poss do a dry run).

Look forward to seeing you all up there.

Kind regards from Afghanistan

Geoff
Bob, the pat on the back goes to Dan Mewett, the Forum and Gallery are brilliant and just what we needed. Dan and myself are hoping to get together on my return to add even more facilities including an online payment facility for subs and merchandise. Cheers Dan.
UWC
Our AGM for 2007 will take place at the same time, same location on Saturday 10th November. We are hoping to have record numbers attending to show again how strong we remain in spirit and how successful the Association has become. The school trip, annual draw, AGM, dinner and parades will remain as previous years. Bookings for the Alexandra hotel are to be made through the Secretary, rates as last year (CVA members only). The coaches this year will be pay-as-you-ride rather than pre-pay. We are hoping to have an excellent representation from both WW2 and serving lads to build on our fantastic turnout on the 29th at the Unveiling. Looking forward to seeing you there. UWC

Forum Index » Profile for geoffmurray1 » Messages posted by geoffmurray1
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger