commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Paul Wills
Forum Index » Profile for Paul Wills » Messages posted by Paul Wills
Hi All,

Very interested in the below and general history

I believe my Grandfather may have been attached to No. 2. My family were from there Ayr.
I have done much research but still many gaps.....

He was Major William Wills with the 4/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers, posted to No 1 Independent Company. Posted to No. 4 Liaison HQ as intelligence officer.
Early 40's involved in Narvick campaign and was liaison officer with the Polish in Scotland.
Question - Did No 1 Independent become a Commado group? ie No 2
Later was involved with 1st Polish armoured Division, 21st army group, 11th armoured division. Sadly killed in July 44, possibly Operation Goodwood.

Am trying to find of there was a link with the commandos and training and operations?

Brian - Some of your information now makes sense below. ie St Nazaire as i cannot find any info from Jan 41 to May 42.
My Great Great Grandfather was Lord provost of Ayr - James Wills -
He and his son William formed part of Afflecks of Ayr.

I know gone off track with that but researching my family too

Any help / advice welcome

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi All,

Like the below messages I have undertaken much research on my Grand father but there are time periods when i cannot find anything.

He was Major William Wills with the 4/5th Royal Scots Fusiliers, posted to No 1 Independent Company. Posted to No. 4 Liaison HQ as intelligence officer.
Early 40's involved in Narvick campaign and was liaison officer with the Polish in Scotland.
Question - Did No 1 Independent become a Commado group? ie No 2
Later was involved with 1st Polsih armoured Division, 21st army group, 11th armoured division. Sadly killed in July 44, possibly Operation Goodwood.

Am trying to find of there was a link with the commandos and training and operations?

Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Index » Profile for Paul Wills » Messages posted by Paul Wills
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger