commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: RELICHUNTINGMOUSE-UK
Forum Index » Profile for RELICHUNTINGMOUSE-UK » Messages posted by RELICHUNTINGMOUSE-UK
I wrote to the address given in the earlier comments, but sadly I have had no reply :(

Although since that we have no returned over 30 dog-tags... still a long way to go of course, but its wonder to see how warmly they are received and how treasure they quickly belong, being kept proudly with medals/cap badges etc.

We also discovered why they were made in the first place and why they are made of stainless steal. However, I am bound be a confidentially agreement with the BBC to not tell anyone until the mini documentary I have made with them airs in September.

Dan
To also give you an idea of what I am doing... two friends and I dug over 14,000 dog-tags over and weekend, and I have been given the task of not only cataloging them, but trying to return as many as I can. So far one has got home and another is being handed over to the original owner tomorrow. Very exciting!

So any help that anyone can be with this dog-tag would be very much appreciated. Otherwise it will sit on the back burner, until I have pumped in all the other thousands through the War Forces Records website.

Dan

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. It all makes sense I guess. I'm sure guys would have been 'borrow' as needed etc.

The record I refer to was found online on the War-Forces-Records website. I don't think I can link it as its a memberships, but I will include the link, also show the details below.

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/9398347/trooper-c-j-coughlin-british-army-no-2-commando-regiment/

First Name: C J
Surname: Coughlin
Date of Action: 01/08/1944
Fate: Wounded
Incident Details: Reported to the War Office Casualty Branch for the 24 hours ended 09.00am.
Incident Date: 31/08/1944
Information: Casualty List No. 1539.
Service Number: 7022513
Duty Location: North West Europe
Service: British Army
Regiment: No 2 Commando Regiment
Secondary Unit: Royal Armoured Corps
Archive Reference: WO417/80
Hi all,

I joined in the hope of returning a dog-tag I found back to the family.

The dog-tag is marked to a CJ Coughlin 7022513, a Royal Ulster Rifles issued tag. Although probably just the unit that he signed up with, before advancing into the Commandos. He was wounded in August of 1944 and there is a report which lists him as wounded and gives his unit as No.2 Commando, but I noticed on this site that he is listed as No.3?

I would love to be able to return this to him or at the very least his family. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Mackay
Extreme Relic Hunters

Forum Index » Profile for RELICHUNTINGMOUSE-UK » Messages posted by RELICHUNTINGMOUSE-UK
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger