commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Doug
Forum Index » Profile for Doug » Messages posted by Doug
Hi Kenny,

Thanks for posting the letter it was interesting to read. Jock and my dad Eddie Smith were very close and beside the personal arrangement(s) they made in the event of death or injury my dad promised to be best man at Jock's wedding.

Two or three days before the big event I recall my dad requesting time off from my boarding school and we travelled by train to Glasgow, staying in Bellshill with your great grandmother. Leslie Calff also attended the wedding. My only memory is the coach ride to and from the reception where everyone was required to sing a song.

Thanks again, Doug
Hi Shaun,

Very little to see at Lake Commachio. The areas of interest no longer exist. There is a museum in Alfosine, a short distance from Ravenna, that is worth visiting. Museo della Battaglia del Senio at the Piazza della Resistenza. I believe the Italians refer to the Argenta Gap as the Battaglia del Senio.

Have you read the book Special Ops Heroes by Michael Ashcroft, there is a chapter written by Leslie Callf, the officer in charge of 5 troop, 9 commando; there is mention of Impact Royal.

My dad was recommended for a medal for swimming the Reno river, several times, under fire to retrieve boats from the far side in order to evacuate the wounded, April 13, 1945

regards Doug
My dad had the hackle along with the beret but I recall that it deteriorated very quickly and was thrown away.

It appears that your dad was a teenager when he enlisted in 1943-44 ? and I'm sure by then that the unit was wearing the hackle, although I read that when they were originally formed the inductees wore the badge of their original regiment.

Google "9 commando black hackle" or look at this websites 9 Commando page. I believe that No 11 commando also wore the black hackle.

The hackle is available online but it will cost you 12 quid.

Regards Doug
Hi Shaun,

If you take a quick look at the No 9 Commando gallery you will see that in a few of the photographs the soldier is wearing a green beret with a black hackle.

regards, Doug
Hi Shaun

Your dad was probably involved in Operations Roast and Impact Royal. I believe that the operations are mentioned on this website under no 9 commando. Also some personal memories about Comacchio and Argenta in chapter 11 of "True Stories of the Commandos " by Robin Hunter.

Doug
Hi Pete

Did you receive the alphabetical listing of the signatories ? I sent it in a different format than PDF.

I believe that my dad added an 'X' next to some of the signatures to indicate KIA.

Regards, Doug
Hi Pete

I took a look at the reunion pics but was unable to identify anyone. However, there is a photograph in the 9 commando album titled "5 troop 9 commando circa 1941 and I can tell you that at spots 4th/top row no 3 is Eddie Smith and no 4 Jock Port.

I have a photograph of the original 5 troop that arrived in Italy, signed by the entire unit. If I posted the pic, front and reverse with the names do you think it possible to obtain additional ID's.

regards, Doug
The museum is in Alfonsine about a 22 minute drive north west of Ravenna. There is a train service between the two towns but it takes 3 hours. Also a bus line 161.

I will try attaching an English language link to the Museo della Battaglia del Senio but if it fails you can Google it.

https://www.inspirock.com/italy/alfonsine/museo-della-battaglia-del-senio-a79371105

I hope that your visit is fulfilling.

Doug

Lake Commachio has changed significantly since the end of WW2. Little to see of interest and no way of identifying the Operation Roast launch and landing sites. Ravenna is a great place to visit and if you are interested I will send you info on a WW2 museum a short distance from Ravenna that has many artifacts from the Argenta Gap campaign.

Doug
You may enjoy the Museo della Battaglia Del Senio museum in Alfosine, a short drive from Ravenna. I believe the Italian name for the Argenta Gap offensive is Battle of Senio and they have many artifacts. Lots of uniforms and weaponry of all the combatants involved. Unfortunately, Commachio is much changed but Ravenna is a wonderful place to stay.

Doug
I believe Jock Port's son climbed to the cairn two years ago. If you have a familiarity with the Italian language there is a veteran's hall in Castelforte. I'm sure they would help. Unfortunately, I do not speak the language and the best that I managed was to get my wife invited inside for a drink. Naturally, I was excluded !

Doug
Hi again,

I accessed Enrico's Operation shingle 1944 website and it appears from the aerial photographs that the caves were very close to the wadis area in which 9 commando operated during March 1944. Could you ask Enrico's for the cave coordinates please and I will compare them with info I have from the WO officer reports .

Thanks, Doug
Hi Nick,

I am attaching a scan from the Alfonsine museum bookGli. An interpretation would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug
Hi Pete,

My best suggestion would be to contact the Museo della Battaglia del Senio in Alfonsine near Ravenna. The museum is dedicated to the operations in and around the Argenta Gap and thereis a great deal of information on Italian resistance group. In fact I have a brochure from the museum showing photographs of uniforms and weapons and one in particular of sten guns supplied to the partisans.

My understanding is that the commando were allowed their choice of weapon and I would doubt that a sten gun would feature as anyone's favourite. They were cheap to make and dropped by the planeload to anyone showing an interest in shooting Germans.

I can scan pages from the brochure but it is written in Italian. last e-mail address I have for the museum is "[email protected]"

Doug
Hi Pete,

Possibly taken in Germany in 1945. Some 9 commando were seconded to the 4 commando for policing duties after the war. I have in my possession #4 shoulder badges isued to my dad but he remained loyal to his original unit and never replaced the #9 insignia or the distinctive black hackle.

Doug

Forum Index » Profile for Doug » Messages posted by Doug
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger