commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Malcolm King
Forum Index » Profile for Malcolm King » Messages posted by Malcolm King
My father John King 3249164 enlisted with Cameronians (S.R) and was posted to 5th Battalion Special Services on 13th Sept 1940 then to No.6 Commando 5th March 1942. After that his War record shows he was then posted to Burma and served with Green Howards 22nd may 1942 then with 142 Reg. 77 Brigade 15th June 1942. After that he was with 5 coy Cameronians (SR) on 13th March 1943. he completed 3 years in Burma and was repatriated late 1945.
He never discussed any of his war time activities with my self or any of my siblings and when he died in June 1998 I did not have any details which may help to fill in these blanks in his wartime activities. Now my grandchildren are asking what did he do during the war, and without the fine details it would be good to know what operations he may have been part of, and where his area of operations were, hence my request on this forum. It would also help me confirm what medals he would have been entitled to wear.
I have some photos which I would be happy to share, of him and unknown comrades in unknown locations. Any information about what these units he was with during the times noted would be most welcome , and who knows some of the unknown comrades me be recognised by their descendants.
My late father John King Army No 3249164 enlisted with the Cameronians in 1940 and his service records show he joined No. 6 Commando 05/03/1941. I am trying to find our where he was trained as a Commando and have not been able to trace his record at Achnacahray. Is there somewhere else I could look?
He was based in U.K. Fo 2 years and 61 days then posted overseas to Burma (1942) with RZGHA and joined No 142 Brigade in the same year. He was in the Burma region and India till Sept 1945. 3 years 179 days. I have had great assistance from Stephen Fogden who administrates the Chindit website and he is very knowledgable on the use of Commandos in Burma. Also Liam Brady , who is researching his grandfathers activities with No 6 Commando, and was able to relate to the formation of No 142 Commando Company by Orde Wingate from the RZGHA Commandos sent to Jubbulpore May 1942.
He was a Member of the Old Comrades Association of the Army Commandos (Membership No. 4964)
If anyone who reads this can point me in the direction to allow me to find out where he was trained, it would be appreciated. Malcolm King, email me at the following [email protected].

Forum Index » Profile for Malcolm King » Messages posted by Malcolm King
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger