commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Pete
Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Here is a link to an article about this man who became OC No.2 Commando after Jack Churchill:

http://peek-01.livejournal.com/26299.html

Also here is an extract from No.2 Commando War Diary relating to him getting married 12th September 1944 in Bari, Italy
" The Commanding Officer was married at St Augustines Church, Bari. The ceremony was as near peacetime standard as possible. Capt.C.N.Jupp Brigade Intelligence Officer (formerly 2 Commando) was the best man.The church was quite full by 1430hrs, with a representative crowd from L.F.A. (Brigadier Davey and Staff) Special Service Brigade (Brigadier Churchill and staff) 2 Commando and the F.A.N.Y, Mess, Torre a Mare. The service conducted by the Rev. G. B. Banting C.F.
Troop Cdrs. and Sgt. Majors formed a guard of honour with fighting knives. A jeep well decorated with tins & booby traps was drawn by members of the Unit through a smoke screen and a volley of Verey lights from the Sgts. The reception was held at the Allied Officers Club, Bari. The Unit piper played at the church and at the reception "
Sounds like quite an affair. For more on Ted Fynn have a look at the No 2 Commando History Section titled "The Commanders" where there is one more story about his wedding night. Follow this link:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/site/no-2-commando-commanders
Just a quick update regarding the initial J. being shown against Tom's name. I have received a reply from the author James Dorrian from which I quote " Hi Pete, I'm in Ireland at the moment so don't have access to my files. Most of the early references to names etc, were taken from the lists provided in 'The Greatest Raid of All', way back in 1958. These lists contain numerous errors and I have been seeking to correct them. Sadly the errors have been repeated many times by writers who did no original research. McCormack was always Tom, but there may be additional initials: I will check when I get back. The plaque to the fallen in Saint-Nazaire lists two men as killed who in fact survived, so official lists are to be treated with suspicion Excellent news about Bill's letter: I look forward to viewing it in situ. All the best, James "

The reference to Bill's letter refers to the letter I asked Geoff to place on the CVA from L/Sgt Bill Gibson to his father just before St Nazaire. Geoff has currently placed it on the CVA home page.
Here is an entry from the No.2 Commando War Diaries dated 12th April 1944 location Vis which may be of interest. I quote:
" Douglas Fairbanks Jnr. of film star fame, now a Lt-Cdr.US Navy with six medals, dressed in a British Naval Battle Dress with American badges of rank and wearing British Combined Operations badges sewn on back to front, arrived for discussions with the Brigadier. Seems to have a very good knowledge of things Naval and appears to be very well informed on the political situation, claiming personal friendship with President Roosevelt. The most " English" American yet attached to the Commando ".

Attached is a photo I found of him in his US Naval uniform
Known as Jos to family, and Joe in No.2 Commando

Here is an obituary from Queens College to this man who served in No.2 Commando:

The Revd J. E. C. NICHOLL, M.C. (1939) aged 83. ?Joss? Nicholl was born in India into a medical missionary family. He spent his early years in Quetta where his father was serving in the Church Missionary Society Hospital. Educated at Stowe School, where he was an outstanding sportsman, he came up to Queens' to read History. Joss joined the army in 1940 and was commissioned into a search-light regiment of the Royal Artillery, but he soon transferred to the Commandos. As an officer of 2 Commando he took part in the Sicily campaign and in the invasion of the Italian mainland at Salerno. He then participated in raids on enemy shipping in the Adriatic and on the Dalmatian islands, whilst based at Vis. In the Battle of Commachio, near Venice, in April 1945 he won the Military Cross. During the day he twice led his troops across open ground under heavy fire, personally attacked an enemy position and rallied his men to advance further. After the war he returned to Queens? to complete his degree. He played rugby for the University, but missed his Blue. He attributed his call to Christian ministry to the experience of burying fellow officers at Salerno. Very much a member of the evangelical tradition, he was one of the group of Christian leaders nurtured in his formative years by the holidays run by E.J.H.?Bash? Nash. He went on to Ridley Hall and was ordained in 1948, serving as curate of St John's, Penge. In 1950 he became Chaplain and later a Housemaster at Sutton Valence School. In 1959 he returned to Stowe as Chaplain. His sensitivity as a Pastor and gifts as a Schoolmaster were deeply appreciated. He served as a Housemaster there also. On ceasing to be a member of the teaching staff, he took charge of Stowe church where his ministry was as appreciated by his village parishioners as by schoolboys and colleagues. In 1982 he became Rector of Angmering in Sussex. In retirement in Lewes he often helped during interregnums (especially at South Malling), was Chairman of the Local Council of Churches and served as Chaplain to the British Legion and an Honorary Chaplain to the Commando Association.
My condolences to you Dave and all of Joe's family and friends. I will email young James who originated this forum mesage and let him know the sad news

Pete
My father practising on one ...at least I think its the Vickers

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/Commando+Training/machine+gun+duty.jpg.html
Possibly but not necessarily a mistake Mark. However I will check this with the curator Liverpool Scots Museum. Commandos often were known by other names. A recent post on here for Victor John Cox shows that he was known as Jack. The Westminster Abbey Commando Roll of Honour also has him down as J. McCormack . The CWGC site has him down as Thomas ( these details being provided by next of kin) .I have also seen reference to this initial in an entry about his time in No.4 Ind Company which is the subject of an email I have sent you. Also he is shown as J. in Stuart Chants book " St Nazaire Commando" Yet in James Dorrian's book "Storming St Nazaire" he is shown as " Tommy McCormack". I'll let you know what I find out tomorrow hopefully.

Regards
Nick once again you are correct .. I meant to say he was a Lance Bombardier...don't quite know why I put Sergeant. I had already put the correct details down on his CVA gallery entry.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Operation+Musketoon/William+Chudley++++No_2+Commando.jpg.html

Regards
Hi again Mark

There is also a picture of Lance Sergeant William Chudley in the No.2 Commando Gallery, where there are 2 albums I have posted for Operation Musketoon, one for those executed and one for those who escaped. You may wish to show your Mum that picture as well. As you rightly say, L/Sgt Chudley was not Scottish nor in the Liverpool Scots. He was born on the 10th May 1922 in Exeter and served in the Royal Artillery prior to the Commandos. Also I do not believe he was in 5 Troop. I know that one of the officers involved was from 4 Troop but am not sure if he was as well. Finally although i cannot see the road you mention in my fathers notebook I can see billet addresses in roads adjoining it and in the near vicinity. The men I have mentioned are not in the picture at Ayr racecourse but they were all Liverpool Scots who went to 5 Troop No.2 Commando..one of whomwas killed at Salerno. I mentioned it purely because of your original comment regarding the location where your mother lived being near the racecourse

Regards

Ps ..thanks Nick
Hi Mark and welcome to the CVA. I am assuming you have seen the No 2 Commando Gallery and the album for 5 Troop. In that album there is a photo I posted of 5 Troop taken in Dumfries prior to St Nazaire. Pte. Tom McCormack is pictured on the extreme left , 3rd row up, as you look at the photo and in the same row are Pte. Syd Murdoch and Pte.Bill Hughes. All were from the Liverpool Scottish, as were my father and my uncle who are also in the picture. There are also individual photos of Tom and Bill but sadly not Syd. As you know Tom died at St Nazaire. Tom sailed on HMS Campbeltown. Syd was on MGB314 and was wounded, and taken prisoner, as was Bill Hughes whom I believe was on ML177. Thee was another Bill in 5 Troop at the time from the Liverpool Scots called Bill Blythe and he was a L/Cpl. He was also taken POW at St Nazaire. There is one member of 5 troop from the Liverpool Scots who was at St Nazaire that I am in contact with. If you wish to contact me by email I will gladly speak to him and to the curator of the Liverpool Scots Museum to see if I can find out any further information. I also have a notebook with billet addresses for 5 troop in Ayr but this was after St Nazaire. There is also a picture in that album of 3 members of 5 Troop taken I believe at the old Ayr Racecourse you mentioned. In fact No.2 Commando were due to stay in Perth but due to an incident with the Free Polish Division based there No. 2 moved to Ayr
Thank you Lawrence. I was aware of the memorial at the site of Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp for the British, Norwegian and Commonwealth Forces but had not seen it. I have placed it in the CVA gallery in the Memorials and Plaques Section.

Regards

Hi Lawrence and thank you for your reply. It is uncanny that on the very day you posted this message I also received an email from a relative of Victor John Cox known as " Jack" . Jack was the great uncle of Angela and she mentions the others in the party who were also executed including Lt. Godwin. Here she mentions a little about her great uncle : " Jack was born in 1919 and grew up in North Cadbury, Somerset. His father Harry, a postman, was seriously wounded in WWI whilst rescuing an officer under heavy fire (for which he was awarded the DSO). Jack and two of his six siblings Owen (my grandfather) and Ken, were members of the Territorial Army and were sent to war the day after its outbreak. Owen and Ken survived the war." And here is an extract from the web about the group and Lt Godwin: " Sub-Lieutenant John Godwin, RNVR (died February 2, 1945) took part in a raid on Axis shipping at Kopervik, Norway . His party managed to sink several ships using limpet mines, but he was eventually captured with the rest of his party, a commando sergeant, two Naval Petty Officers and three seamen. After spending some time in Grini prison camp , they were sent to Sachsenhausen concentration , where contrary to the Geneva Convention they were forced to march thirty miles a day on cobbles testing army boots. On February 2, 1945 they were led to execution. Godwin managed to wrestle the pistol of the firing party commander from his belt and shot him dead before being himself shot. No superior officer witnessed this act so a decoration could not be awarded, however his bravery was mentioned in dispatches." Mayor and Roe were transferred to Belsen Concentration Camp. Mayor was subsequently executed there whilst Roe died of Typhus.

Lawrence I will also private message you regarding this.

Regards
I was a little intrigued as to who the children were in the 2nd photo which I have copied here and also placed in the gallery so I asked McQuaggy (James) with a wee advisory marker to show his parents my message before replying. Here is the reply I received which is rather nice " My name is James, I am the one in the yellow shirt, my friend Gareth, his sister Laura, in the pink, and my sister Rachael, on Joe's knee!! First of all, I have no connection to Joe, apart from this brief meeting I shall describe. We decided in early 2004 to go across to Normandy for what we thought would be the last major celebration of the landings. We had just watched a parade of the vets. and Prince Charles in Ouistreham (Bill Millin was also there, but I didn't get to speak to him) on the 5th of June (2004) and decided it was time for dinner. So we went to a cafe and in walked Joe. My Dad and his friend (Gareth and Laura's Dad) immediately jumped to their feet and invited him over to sit and eat with us, as he appeared to be alone. However, we found out that he was with another Commando, whos name I can't remember, but if I ask my dad later, he'll know. Ill try to dig out a picture of him if we have one. I am now 17, 18 next month, so there is no need to worry about my parents!! "

Hi Mike I agree with Andy's advice about applying for your dad's war service record which I would suggest you do as soon as possible. Secondly I'll contact you by email in due course as i now have access to the No.2 Commando War Diary, and finally can I recommend you consider joining the CVA as an Associate Member. The article on your father written by the late Bob Bishop in the No.2 Commando history section, sub titled " The Men" always brings a wry smile to my face and sums up the Commando spirit of camraderie. Even though he is shown incorrectly with the initial "W"

Regards
Here is a link to an obituary to Geoffrey Rees Jones of No.5 Commando who was one of the original instructors. It gives the location of where the first course was run from before the actual School came into use. Although it may not answer your question it may be of interest:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1473259/Geoffrey-Rees-Jones.html

I have seen a mention of Commando Training in the Glen Clunie area of Braemar but that was all it said.

Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger