commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: pwogel
Forum Index » Profile for pwogel » Messages posted by pwogel
My father was also on this raid - name Albert Raymond Wogel, would like to know more about this raid - what were they after ?
Hi Nick,

He was admitted to the Royal Victoria Hospital 7th Aug 1943.
Discharged 25th Aug 1943
Posted Holding 23rd Nov 1943
Entitled to wear Africa Star with 1st Army 3rd Feb 1944

Admitted E.M.S Hospital Wrexham 20th June 1944 ( What is E.M.S )
Discharged 21st June 1944

Recived Injuries Of moderate severity on 15th Aug 1944

Discharge confirmed 1st Oct 1944 - Struck Off Strength

Hi
Further info ref my Father Albert Raymond Wogel No 1 Commando

It very much looks like my father was in No.1 Commando during the Operation Torch (North African) Landings. I believe that they attacked Cap Ferruch and then moved through Algiers. They were under command of Lt-Col. K.R.S. Trevor and for this operation they had attached to them four Troops (each of 60 men) from the US 168th Rifle Regiment of the 34th Division of the Iowa National Guard.

I have read that in the January/ February period of 1943 they were engaged in a bitter and bloody combat with German forces near Bizerte during which many were killed, wounded or captured. This may explain why he was evacuated back to UK.

An interestingly father's time in the Independent Companies in 1940. They were the forerunners of the Commandos and operated successfully in guerilla warfare in Norway ( Operation Deepcut) only being left almost in complete isolation and running extremely low on supplies and ammunition as the counter invasion of Norway faltered and faded.

Now have my fathers SERVICE AND CASUALTY FORM.
They do not mention his injuries (PTSD)
Will try and down load the form to the forum - having problems downloading it to the site at the moment
Many Thanks Nick,

I need to find out as much about my father during his war years, he was found in Algeria wounded do not now were, in full American GI uniform.
Have his Service ( Hand Written )
But gives no details of his actions. or his injuries sustained - was in hospital for sometime - as a note his Father ( My Grandfather) was awarded the Croix De Gare in 1917 during WW I - He was in the French Army Thanks Paul
Trying to find out as much information about my father Albert Raymond Wogel.
He passed away when I was 6 weeks old 26th Dec 1952 - not sure if he was a POW - was found in Algeria wearing GI uniform, he may have been suffering with Post-traumatic stress disorder - Army number 4192949

Thanks
Paul Wogel
Hi
My name is Paul Wogel son Albert Raymond Wogel; Army number was 41929949 RWF Enlisted 11th April 1939.
On the 4th March 1941 he was posted to No 1 Commando
Was involved in operation Deep Cut
Was involved in Tunisia and was fund wearing a GI uniform

Trying to find out if he was wounded or taken prisoner in South Africa
I believe he may have come home suffering PTSD symptoms
He was discharged on Oct 1st Oct 1944
He passed away 26th Dec 1952 I was 6 weeks old at the time
Many thanks Andy,
Will check my fathers war records again,
There was a book published ref the raid
Operation Collar (commando raid) Paperback ? 1 Jan 2012
by Ronald Cohn Jesse Russell (Author)
If you have any further information I would be interested, only now finding things out about my father, for sure the war changed him, but then again that's not suprising, lads must have gone through hell, just hope I'm half the man my father was.

Thanks
Paul

Have just found this attached article ref my father the late Albert Raymond Wogel No 1 Commando, I'm this will be of interest to some ex service people.

Many Thanks

Paul Wogel

Forum Index » Profile for pwogel » Messages posted by pwogel
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger