commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Kevin
Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
My cousin's late father served with this unit, any information would be greatfully recieved.
Just a thought, how about a medal similar to the American
'Bronze Star Medal' issued to every Merrill's Marauders for "Heroic or Meritorious Achievement or Service"
or even better a medal simmilar to the:
'Distinguished Service Cross' issued for "Extreme Gallantry and risk of life in actual combat with an armed enemy force".This would satisfy unknowncommandos creteria covering (Where is the justice in allowing a clerk in India to qualify for the same medal as a Commando in Burma?) and could also bear the name of the the individual units eg:
Commando
S.A.S
Paratrooper
S.B.G etc, etc.

Finally, perhaps it is too late for the like of my late father, and others that followed in their footsteps, but could be issued extra to today's and future special forces.
Kevin
should read office clerks
Are there no office clarks in the Commandos?

Kevin
"Thank God for the unpublished operations that Commandos engaged in, for these events can never be subject to critical analysis or advice from some historian or other persons."

Hi Bob, these last few words in your posting seems very appropriate to me, as I could count on one hand the number of times my father talked about his war service, I imagine, that after the war it was more important to get some sort of normality to family life after four years of active service overseas. Life had to go on and memories had to remain memories. Maybe now forty years on he would have opened up? I'll never know.
The historians with hindsight see the bigger picture. Where as in my mind a serving trooper at that is simply doing his job.
My mother told me after he died that the memories and nightmares never really ended, and must remain with them (As some of the events that happened in the Far East are already well documented by historians)-For what he and others had to do then as today, would be subjected to criticism in today's ethos. He was a proud man and proud of his service.
Kevin
Got mine today, looks good and professional.

Thanks
Kevin
This information would be in his service record,but you'd have to be the next of kin to recieve his records?
Kevin
Diolch

Kevin
Shohna,
If you go to the CWGC site and enter the following you'll be able to down load a photo of the TAUKKYAN WAR CEMETERY with some of the information listed in my previous post
Dickson (leave first name blank)
year of death 1944-1945
Force- Army
Nationality- UK
It will be on page two I think, but his service number is there so you can't miss him.
All the best
Kevin
From CWGC
Name: DICKSON, GEORGE
Initials: G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery
Secondary Regiment: Commando Secondary Unit Text: and No. 1
Date of Death: 31/01/1945
Service No: 1446673
Additional information: Son of Douglas and Mary Dickson; husband of Margaret Robertson Dickson, of Broughty Ferry, Angus.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: 10. D. 2. Cemetery: TAUKKYAN WAR CEMETERY

Hope this helps
Kevin
This info from CWGC

Kevin
Nick, if you 'click' on download then open the file you'r pc's software should be able enlarge the document with the + & - button?
I have recieved his service record, and a letter from the Indian Government thanking him for his service to India, I also have a copy of his last orders during the victory parade in Rangoon.
I hope you'r able to enlarge the doc.

Kevin
Service Record
I have a photo of the Bush Warfare Training School, It is a photo of Major English and other officers who were in command of the school when the 204 draft passed through en route for China, if I uplode the phote could we please attribute it to Major English? I have also letters written to me in the early 1980 by Major English.

Kevin
He mentions 'took the section out on demolitions' a number of times, but he also 'took troops on PT, 10 mile route march, zeroing rifles and map reading'.

Kevin

Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger