commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: bootiegreg
Forum Index » Profile for bootiegreg » Messages posted by bootiegreg
Hi folks,

A work colleague of mine asked if she could find out information on his grandfather. Andrew James Roxburgh. All he knows is he was a Royal Marine during WW2 and that his service number was - CH / X106828.

Can anyone help or give me advice on where to ask or look please?

Thanks,

Greg
£30
Thanks for the replies folks.

Very nice Kevin! I re-blued the blade using Burchwood Casey gun blueing kit. Its nowhere near what the original finish would be. It's not as deep a shine nor oily. The gold leaf also isn't as good but its better than how I got it.
I was certainly issued an FS knife (Nowill & Sons 3rd for pattern) for Afghanistan (ended up going to Iraq instead). I was Zulu coy at the time however got it when I asked my TQ for one. I heard that all the SNCO's and some JNCO's had got them and didn't want to miss out.

As for your original question to Falklands issue, my friend tells me that he had his own one which he took south. He cannot recall them being issued purely for heading south.

Hope this helps.
Then blued -

And gold leafing re done -

So there you go! The gold leafing isn't perfect and it won't be a nice as when it was originally made, however, I think its not bad compared to how I got it and considering how much its all cost to do!
Dismantled, de-blued and rust removed. I had to re-grind the tip as about 1mm broke as I tried to straighten it. It was then sanded with coarse and smooth sandpaper before wire wooling the blade.

Gentlemen,

Just like to share this FS knife I picked up at a recent auction. It is a 3rd pattern Nowill & sons presentation dagger with etchings to 'Army Commandos 1940-45' amongst lots of others. I have no idea how many of these were produced or when (if anyone does, please let me know).

As you can see, it was in a very very poor state and as it was a presentation and not a war time issue, I decided to do a little bit of Refurbishment.

As bought -

One of my mates who serve in the Falklands certainly was issued one during his time at 45 Cdo. Whether he took it south, I'm not sure. Next time I see him, I will ask!
Paul also hand delivering my lovely shiney MacDonald 1st pattern FS dagger. Yes Im a happy boy!!!

Paul MacDonald of MacDonald Armouries Edinburgh attending and presenting the bar with a Bespoke handmade plaque for the wall -

A wee up date from the Butcher & Bolt - we have had many a successful night since our opening. God times had by past, present and friends of the Commando family. I have added a few pictures for your entertainment -

28th Oct - Royal Marines birthday. This was a dvd afternoon where we watched The Cockleshell Heroes and then An Gentlemanly Act. Fancy dress was a must!

If you know when your father went through Commando training, you could ascertain what type of dagger he was issued.
And in another note; on looking at the scorpion website; I personally don't like their wasp style handles. As far as I am aware, this style of handle was never produced. For me, this would detract too much from the originals. Im in the early stages of collecting FS daggers and would never myself buy one from scorpion based on their website and lack of attention to detail.

If a third pattern is what you would like, Nowill & Sons still produce MoD spec fs daggers with MoD broad arrow stamp. I had one issued to me for Afghan and is now framed up. You can get them from good army surplus type shops ie. http://www.survivalaids.com/order1.php?pg=1007

Much cheaper than Scorpion and is from an actual commando issue dagger. Downside is they can't etch blades.

Just my 10p worth.
Mike,

I have in the last two days, taken delivery of a MacDonald Armouries 1st pattern FS dagger. To say I'm over joyed is a massive understatement. The workmanship and attention to detail is amazing and I absolutely love it. Crafted just as the originals were - by hand!

I'm not familiar with the scorpion maker however, it looks to me like they only do 3rd patterns.

Suppose it also comes down to what type of dagger your father was issued; if that is known.

Good luck in what ever you choose, but you really wouldn't be disappointed with one from MacDonald Armouries.

Greg.
Just for info - Bigger tribute to military fallen http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-20007478

Forum Index » Profile for bootiegreg » Messages posted by bootiegreg
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger