commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: NIC
Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Stephan,
do you need help in posting photos?
Nick
Bluefrog,
Thanks for your reply and advice.
Yes I think the photos may be of greater use to jog any memories than a page of words, after all, it's how friends and colleagues would have known our fathers etc back then...
I know my efforts would be far easier with the correct Army Service No - it was Army Records that told me that the number I have may refer to someone else...
The one I have could have been my Dad's - he may have used an alias as he lied about his age to join up [my Grandfather intervened and my father had to re-join when he was old enough]; or it could have been my father's younger brother's service number and the family become confused over the years...

Presumably the War Diaries aren't on line so I'd have to pay a visit to the National Archives? Any tips/advice you can proffer to make my search a little easier?

Cheers,
Nick
Hi Bluefrog,
Thanks for your reply.
As for the photos, I find that they sometimes help to jog memories whereas pages of text aren't always so successful, after all the photos are as they will be remembered by those that knew them.
Gentlemen,
I'm hoping to find out any information on my late father Mick Collins who died of TB in Pembrokeshire, West Wales in 1956 - when I was just one year old.
Mick was born 09 Oct 1925 in Walthamstow but was living in Ash-Grove, Hounslow during the War. Keen to 'play his part', he lied about his age and joined 1st Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps. His Army No was 14499411 - although I have been told by Records that that number relates to someone else!

I believe that he was in 5 Troop, No 5 Commando.
I do know that he and his patrol [Sgt M Collins, Cpl E A Martin, Riflemen T V Luck & H J Harris] were taken prisoner, on Feb 9th 1947, on the Italian/Yugoslav border, by Yugoslav partisans but were later released [I have subsequently discovered this was after he'd returned to 1st Bn, KRRC].
He was in Poona and Burma where I think he was wounded on 23 March 44, I also think he spent some time in Naples (possibly convalesing?)
Mick would have taken his role very seriously but, at the same time, had a very robust sense of humour with a penchant for practical jokes...
As a young child I remember photos and sketches of him and some friends wearing slouch hats and I'm sure I remember seeing a set of twins - I'm sure I remember being told they were Aussies but again my young brain may have been influenced by the slouch hats...

Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger