commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: NIC
Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Although I started this thread with a query whether No 5 had a Cap Badge, it was soon established that they probably didn't so the discussion moved on to No 5's badges and patches in general.
As the author of the thread I don't have a problem with that and have contributed quite a bit to this interesting and puzzleing question.
Thanks,
Nick
I don't know anything about this medal but, by chance, I've just come across this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-THE-COMBINED-OPERATIONS-CROSS_W0QQitemZ280108272456QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4724QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
perhaps the explanation is of some help?
Nick
Anonymous wrote:Dan,
Sorry if I'm the only one posting on this topic :wink:
Can you sort out the clock please? [I'm posting this at 10.37hrs but it will prolly show the wrong time of posting!
Cheers,
Nick

Yep, it's about an hour out!
Nick
Stephen,
I still can't distinguish between 1st and 2nd issue - other than maybe the colour of the handles?

Cheers,
Nick
and now, just as I was working on getting my 'third stripe' the computer decides not to recognize two qualifing posts :wink:
Nick
Ron,
Yes I too have trouble with the black/blue!

Ok, once again you've come up with a feasible explanation - my dad's portrait shows him with a Combined Ops whilst he was a Lance Jack whereas I know he finished as a Sgt so that could be right, chronologically.
Unfortunately that's really thrown out by the illustration from Men At War, 1914 - 1945, British Army Commandos where the Sgt is supposed to be dressed to take part in the St Nazaire Raid, 1942 and the crossed daggers are clearly shown on his left shoulder.
Some supporting text explains that "all insignia other than badges of rank were ordered to be removed prior to the St Nazaire Raid... photographs of survivors as prisoners of war show that not all of the No 5 Commando group removed their V patches..."

Oh and while I think of it, why are some shoulder titles No 5 Commando (red on black) whilst others are V Commando (gold/yellow on green)!

Confused,
Nick
Stephen Donnison wrote:Im actually confused now about the crossed daggers patch

I also have a booklet called Men At War - 1914- 1945 - Army Commandos. Theres illustrations of soldiers from every Commando unit. For No5 Commando theres a sergeant of a kilted Commando at St Nazaire.( there were some No5 involved in the raid) The crossed daggers with a V is clearly sewn on his arm

Stephen,
You reminded me that I had that booklet too - but it has only served to confuse me more!

The drawing of the Sgt shows the 'V and crossed dagger' patch on his left arm - whereas the photo showing my dad's left arm doesn't have the patch - just the shoulder title and the Combined Ops badge!
Was the 'V and crossed daggers' replaced by the Combined Ops?

Sorry for all these questions and for any confusion, but this issue has had me perplexed for quite sometime and now I've got an opportunity - through you guys and this website - to try to resolve these puzzles.

Nick
... and this one is obviously the V Force cap badge - because it says so :wink:

hockhamlain wrote:Hello NIC
The V Force badge is very similar, the difference being it is a cap badge, the knives are crossed in the same way but the V is lower down and actually sits across the 2 handles just below the hand gaurds, the badge I have is of black metal, I dont know if this an original or a replica. I think also the V Force were made up from local people to carry out geurilla actions, once again hope this is of some help.
Regards Ron

okay so this is actually No 5?

Admin wrote:Hi Nic,

Thanks for the feedback. The "Bold" highlight issue is quite tricky to resolve , but i'll certainly give it a go.

Dan,
It seems that you've cracked this one - well done and thanks!
Cheers,
Nick
Anonymous wrote:Ayup Nic
I have photos of my dad with his green beret plus the Lincolnshire Regt badge on it. But the pic to the left which I have had enlarged and framed he has the crossed daggers patch of No5 on it! which i believe there were two patterns of. I also have quite a few pics of him wearing a bush hat in Burma. Would that ve had a badge on like the aussies had on theirs?

Stephen,
So does the crossed daggers badge on the photo have a Roman numeral 'V' on it, or the figure 5?
On the photos with the slouch hats, can the badges be seen clearly?
Any chance you could post more photos?
Regards,
Nick
John,
Your picture clearly shows the War Office sign - the Barbed Arrow or Crow's Foot - so I seriously doubt that it is a Scouting Beret ( and I don't think the beret was introduced into the Boy Scouting Movement until much later anyway).

The only suggestion I can offer is the The War Office gave the contract for the manufacture of British Army Berets to that particular maker in 1940?

With interest,
Nick
Stephen and Ron,
Thanks for your answers guys but now I'm even more confused - Stephen I've seen the badge you've mounted with your dad's photo and it's as Ron describes but isn't that the ensignia for the V Force and not No 5?

I thought the V Force were units made up from British Officers [actually plantation managers and the like - with local knowledge - rather than Military Officers] and 'local' O/Rs for the purpose of guerilla and intelligence gathering activities etc?

Regards,
Nick
Does anyone have any idea what No 5 Cmdo used as a badge in their berets?
I have my dad's medals(genuine), a No 5 shoulder flash (smells old), a Combined Ops ensignia (smells new) a 2nd issue F/S dagger and the King's Royal Rifle Corps hat badge but would like a No 5 cap badge to finish off the display...

Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger