commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Jackie Birtles
Forum Index » Profile for Jackie Birtles » Messages posted by Jackie Birtles
Hi Craig,

I checked the photo, I didn't recognise him on it. I just submitted the request for his records. The wait time is up to 12 months now, but it's done. Thank you so much for all of your help, it is so appreciated. I have 12 months now to keep searching lol. My Dad would have absolutely loved this site.

Thanks again to everyone who offered their help. I will post more and also see if anyone else has any more pics and I will post.

thanks! :)
Hi Craig,

I checked the photo, I didn't recognise him on it. I just submitted the request for his records. The wait time is up to 12 months now, but it's done. Thank you so much for all of your help, it is so appreciated. I have 12 months now to keep searching lol. My Dad would have absolutely loved this site.

Thanks again to everyone who offered their help. I will post more and also see if anyone else has any more pics and I will post.

thanks! :)
Thanks Craig, I did try looking at the gallery pics, but when I zoom in, they distort even more and everyone starts looking the same. Lol. I also noticed the difference in my Dad in the 4 yrs he was in there. Literally from a boy to a man, so have to look twice to see what face I?m looking for. I would?ve thought there would be a list somewhere that noted all of the people who signed up on each unit?? I did find one list, but he want on it. :( I now have my Dad?s death certificate and can submit the paperwork by Friday. :)
Okay the pics show up in a different order as to how I added them. So it?s the first one on the second batch that I don?t know, he has a Pom Pom on his beret. Is that Scottish?
Few more pics. The one that is with my Dad, I believe they called him Taff or Taffy, which I believe is common so won?t be of much help. I have no idea who the last one is, but obviously someone my Dad knew as we have always had this photo. If he is related to someone on here, I would be happy to send them the original.
Thank you Pete. I will send before the weekend if my attempts don?t work. My brother sent me a couple so will see if those attach. Thanks everyone for all of your help. I didn?t realize how hard it would be to find which unit it was in. Will send the paperwork in this weekend.
i tried to upload a few pics of my Dad, but it said it was too large and it was only one pic. :(
I am on my phone and not seeing where I can attach a photo. I will look on my computer tonight.

My Dad, never spoke about any of it, but he did mention to my sister that when they arrived at Belsen, another unit was already there. It sounded awful. I think he?d rather put it out of his mind.

I will also see if they take any other forms of payment now, and get the records ordered. It?ll be lovely to have them.

I?ll see if I can find any other war pics. There weren?t many and I think they were distributed when he passed.

Thanks again for your help. :)
Thanks Phil, it was a few years ago, so will try again. Do you happen to k ow the website I go to, to request the info?

Thanks so much :)
Hi Craig,
What does a hostilities only Marine mean?
The only story I remember was him going to the Belsen POW camp. They were supposed to help get them out, but I believe another unit got there before them?

I tried at one point to claim his records but it wouldn?t allow me to pay in $$. UK pounds only and don?t believe, they send overseas either. If Pete or Nic has anymore info as to where I could claim his records, it would be greatly appreciated. I can have them sent to someone in the uk and have them scan them to me.

Thank you so much for responding. :) A glimmer of hope :)
Hello, can anyone advise on how I find out which unit my Dad was in? He passed away 33 years ago and this is the only info I have. I live in the U.S and am struggling to find anything online. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
He signed up on 10th may 1942.
George Harry Birtles
Trained at Depot RM
Lympstone Devon.
Division reg no. Po/× 111896
HBL RM Division 28th April -
31 July
HBL RM Commando 1 Aug 43 - 25
March 46
26 March- 8 June 46
Released in class A

Thanks so much!
Jackie

Forum Index » Profile for Jackie Birtles » Messages posted by Jackie Birtles
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger