commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: craig summerhill
Forum Index » Profile for craig summerhill » Messages posted by craig summerhill
That?s the modern No 2 FAD or future army dress. Not sure without a name it?s impossible. Note the Syria ribbon could this gent have been attached to a unit, not heard of 24 going there.
Are you sure it?s for 24 commando. They were formed from 59 ind commando squadron and the commando and diving badges could be just a part of the history of the uniform. I served 22 years and 7 months in the RE as a reserve and regular service. Many people go to 24 and dive. There is also a reserve commando unit with the same as you describe. 131 Commando RE.

If you get a name I will enquire my friend did 10 years in 59 and was in Bosnia in 90s Iraq Op Telic, Op Jacanna invasion of Afghanistan after 9/11 plus many other tours inc 5 Herrick tours and various others, retiring last year after 25 years.

There is a commando EOD sqn and this person could have been there as a young officer as normally 2-3 year postings.

Happy to help if you get a name.
You?re welcome.

Any other info post and I?ll see what I can dig up.

Hi Jackie.

I have checked the nominal rolls for all the units that hold records, no sign. However not all records are maintained and recorded from then, if you click on the photo it should enlarge.

I?m sure you?ll find the result.
This is a photo of B troop 45 Commando have a look to see if he?s in the ranks, also check out the troop photos in the gallery when your on your PC.
Great photos second photo shows the commando and combined operations badges, there should be a number above the Royal Marines flash on shoulder, for European theatre will be either 41,45,46,47,48.

Any others send over will try and blow up to identify.
Hi.

Hostilities only was they joined for the duration of the war. You mentioned Belsen, my grandfather was at Belsen as well, 45 and 46 Royal Marines Commandos were not far away when it was discovered after they had recently crossed the River Aller (I think) need to check my reference library.

Belsen wasn?t well documented by the Commando brigade and I found out 45 were there through an obituary I read of a 45 veterans passing.

The search fee is £30 and there are 2 forms required to be filled in takes up to 3 months.

Have you any photos of your dad in uniform, as I said look in the photo gallery I found my grandad in there then took 2 years to confirm as it was a dark picture.

If I find anything I?ll add to the thread.

Your dad was a hostilities only Marine originally in the Portsmouth division hence the No PO/X111896 which was a number for Hostilities only Marines there were also Chatham and Plymouth divisions.

HBL RM is a Home based ledger or a U.K. base.

The dates are when the RM divisions became Commandos.

Have you applied for his service documents as he passed over 25 years ago you can claim his full records, Pete or Nic on this site best placed to advise.

I have checked the nominal rolls on this site but no luck, will check the 47 web site, check the photo gallery for WW2 Commandos - Royal Marines and post any photos as some badges can narrow the search down.

Just for info my own grandad was a Ports div marine and his number was PO/X111957 so not far away from your dad but joined March 42.
46 commando has an RM Ellis on nominal roll on this site. Chatham div marine.

Is this your man.
From the book.

Germany 1945

Lees James Sykes CSM Po/X 1707 4 June DO. Think that?s died of wounds.

Served in B troop, killed in Germany.

No other mentions hope this helps, it?s a start.
41 commando were based at Deal, they also landed around Sword beach.
The red I believe are berries on the laurel leaves of victory.
South sea would have been where he carried out his basic training as he has a Portsmouth divisional service number.

He holds a hostilities only number denoted by the PO/X followed by the 6 digit number.

Do you have any documents or photos you could share.
What a absolute legend. Please convey my best wishes and respect for your fathers very special occasion and his service to our great nation. A fantastic story.

Look forward to more.
Good photos. The single photo is pre commando or pre beret issue so before 1943 I?m guessing. Which one is your dad in the group?

If in a naval party would be wearing a blue beret even if commando trained. Unless permission granted. The person on right looks like RM shoulder flashes but hard to read.

Keep posting. Will try to help out where possible.

Had a friend who was a commando for 26 years PTI in Lympstone. He said if you got a ships draft in 50s early 60s you had to wear a blue beret and RM flashes not RM commando flashes. The old gunnery establishments weren?t keen of breaking tradition when the commandos formed.

Forum Index » Profile for craig summerhill » Messages posted by craig summerhill
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger