commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Eileen
Forum Index » Profile for Eileen » Messages posted by Eileen
I've got several photos of my dad from 1940 to 1946.

He's a fresh-faced lad in the first one but, in later War years, he's a hardened veteran.

I was being overly-cautious with my question mark in the other post ... it's him.
http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/Syd+8th+Feb+1945.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1
Syd Lamkin?
RM beret - the one in the video has the badge attached.

Very interesting video - thank you.

I hope you find the information you're after.

You've just reminded me of something I'd long since forgotten. My dad and I used to play that game - I'd be hanging onto his wrists for dear life and he'd be out of my grip in the blink of an eye and holding my wrists instead. Used to drive me bonkers. :)

Thanks for the reminder!
My dad was in 10 Independent - went over to Dakar I believe. He trained at Achdalieu and Lochailort before heading to Achnacarry. He loved his time at Achnacarry and I can't remember him saying anything to the contrary. He loved to go back and visit the area.

He also volunteered to fight with No.2 in Sicily and Salerno.
What an interesting thread and what a man!
I'm really looking forward to finding out more about this man. There will be many on here who can help or point you in the right direction.

Normandy, Italy, Walcheren ... same as my dad - so very interesting. Good luck!
How exciting!

Welcome, Chris, from another No.4 Commando Bairn.
Welcome!

It's wonderful to learn about Sgt. Smith - thank you for introducing us to him.
Glad you got your money back. Same thing happened with me on another site ... left it too late to cancel as you have to do so a couple of days, at the latest, before the time's up. I, too, got my money back ... we're a persuasive lot.

I generally cancel trial subs as soon as I sign up as you still get the full time.

These are wonderful photographs - thank you for posting them.

You've done a great job with that restored one.
Thank you, Janet.

In contact.
Another question ...

Who's been to Salerno to go to the places No.2, 41RM etc fought? Who lives there?

Someone suggested taking a Winter break so I'm needing to know best places to stay - how you travelled - I'm thinking plane from Newcastle to Milan then train to Salerno ... would like to go by train all the way, depends on cost.

Please let me know if you have any information ... thanks in advance! Can't believe I might actually get there!
Thank you, Graham. :D

This is one heck of a place.

Forum Index » Profile for Eileen » Messages posted by Eileen
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger