commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: barry wales
Forum Index » Profile for barry wales » Messages posted by barry wales
Interesting to see Inverary Castle on the TV tonight "A Very British Scandal", the home of the Duke of Argyll.
No 12 CDO were based there for training in April, 1941, 80 years ago, training for raids on Norway.
My father, Harold Holland Wales, told me that the monument that you can see on the hill top opposite the castle , had to be touched before you were allowed breakfast.
At some point the commando were involved in Folbot training with a submarine in Loch Fyne, but that turned out to be a little bit spooky and unsettling.
I will tell you of that another time.
I read somewhere that Harry H Corbett was in the Royal Marines during WW11.
The article did not record that he was a Royal Marine commando, but if did mention that he successfully used his commando knife against the Japanese.
That is all I remember.
Corran Purdon was my fathers troop commander (D troop) in No 12 commando. My father, Harold Holland Wales, often spoke of "Dickie" Purdon and I was fortunate to meet him and his first wife at his home in Devizes. He signed my copy of List The Bugle and it was a delight to meet such a charming and informed veteran. I reminded him that he had required my father to carry a 2 inch mortar strapped across the chest and to fire it, whilst propped against a tree, and then move on with the attack. The problem was that the base plate would dig into the tree and leave father pinned to the tree. Corran thought this quite amusing, but said that he thinks he tried it himself with no problem.
Rest in peace Corran.

Barry Wales
Whilst watching a film about the 1963 Train Robbery I was reminded that one of the investigating officers may be of interest to the CVA
Detective Chief Superintendent Tommy Butler led the six man Train Robbery Squad. His second in command was Detective Inspector Frank Williams.I can recall reading somewhere that Frank Williams was a wartime commando.Is this correct? or have I identified the wrong police officer.
Regards,
Barry Wales
In Brigadier John Durnford-Slater's book "Commando," the raid on the Lofoten Islands and later the raid on Vaagso by No 3 Cdo is described in great detail.He mentions Johnny Giles in both accounts and describes how he was killed clearing a house full of Germans at Vaagso.
I have Brigadier Peter Young's copy of the book as he was involved in both actions, and has made numerous margin notes.
Hope this is of some use.
Barry Wales
In 1941 when No 3 commando was based in Largs, Scotland for some time, some members were attached to the Royal Navy for duties on Atlantic convoy and anti-submarine patrols.Some of these commandos did end up in Iceland, but I would guess they were there only briefly.
On one occasion, a commando officer and 14 other ranks, (all No 3 Cdo), under the command of a Royal Navy sub-lieutenant, brought back from the mid Atlantic the tanker Sangro, 13,000 tons, which had been found derelict and on fire. She was berthed safely in the Clyde.
Commandos appear to turn up everywhere!
Regards,
Barry Wales
The combined ops badges were not always cut in to a circle. It may have depended on the individual or the unit. I have my fathers original combined ops. badges (12 cdo) and they were sewn on as supplied.I noticed in the film Cockleshell Heroes last week the Royal Marines wore their combined ops. badges the same, uncut. I'm sure when that film was made that the huge amount of technical/ historical advice available would have picked this up if it was not known about.
Regards,
Barry Wales
I appreciate its a bit late, but the castle featured in Downton Abbey on ITV on Christmas Day is Inverary Castle. My father, a member of No 12 commando, did his training there around 1940/1941. Opposite the main building is a large hill with a monument on top.My father told me that they were required to run up to the monument before breakfast each day.There was an excellent commando museum in the grounds, but this has now closed.

Barry Wales
Nick,

Regarding 5 Cdo's stay at DOVER, can I refer you to my comment filed under Lt Col. John (Mad Jack) Churchill where he is listed in the Wartime Army Cdo Individuals section of the Forum Index.

Barry
The Spaniel in the Works Theatre Company who produced the Mad Jack monologue are supported by his sons Rod and Malcolm Churchill. Wonder if they are CVA members?
July,1940. Jack Churchill was 2nd i/c No 5 Cdo. 5 Cdo was moved from Bridlington, Yorkshire, to Dover due to the invasion threat. Jack spent his off duty hours practicing his archery, using the high ground or "banks" above Dover as his Butts. This practice by an Olympian athlete attracted an appreciative audience.
A shell, fired by one of the German long range guns, having travelled 22 miles, burst over the "banks" and a fragment pierced the blue ring of the archery target.
"Gentlemen," said Jack, as his audience all rose from the ground, "that must be the longest range that an archery target has ever been hit, and," he continued through gales of laughter, "some unknown f---ing Kraut gunner in Calais has scored a five!"
Mad Jack Churchill may well feature in a film. I am aware that a producer is considering making a film about his exploits.
Mad Jack & the Severn Bore is currently being performed by the www.spanielworks.co.uk , a theatre company.
( He was the first person to surf the Severn Bore.)
Boxing Day 26th December 1941 Operation Anklet
12 Cdo's visit to the Lofoten Islands.
Hello All,
I have just realised that probably all the troops shown in the photo were involved in the Lofoten raid. Exactly 70 years ago today!
I do recall that one Boxing Day a few years ago we had a little snow, and father mentioned spending a Boxing Day in a place where their was a lot of snow, but he wouldn't elaborate. I only found out last year about the raid, and that turned out to be a bit spooky.
Regards,
Barry Wales
Hello Pete,
The photo is D troop, No 12 Cdo taken at Southampton in July,1942. My father, Harry Wales, is in the second row from the back on the extreme left. He is wearing the head gear of the Border Regiment. They were billeted around Netley, and used a sports club for training. Possibly the building behind them.
Regards,
Barry Wales
Hello everybody,
I have not posted a message before, so have patience.
My father, Harold Holland Wales joined 12 commando in 1941. His parent unit was the Border Regiment. He was issued with a 1st pattern FS fighting knife, with a leather scabbard. They are both in excellent condition and in my possession.
I also have his 12 cdo shoulder flashes and his Combined Ops cloth badges.
I recall him saying that he was interviewed for "unspecified special operations", ie commandos, by Lord Lovat in Edinburgh Castle.
Regards
Barry Wales

Forum Index » Profile for barry wales » Messages posted by barry wales
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger