commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: AHewlett
Forum Index » Profile for AHewlett » Messages posted by AHewlett
Thanks Pete!

I think the problem is it?s been a story in my family for ages and my brother, who was also in the army, is really trying to find proof of who the models were. But without hard proof, it?s a little bit like a minefield as it could be anyone really
Thanks Kevin! I found that as well but wasn?t sure if a family member or a family friend had edited the Wikipedia page to confirm that.

It?s more about finding solid proof (if there is such a thing)
Hi there

I was wondering if someone could help. There?s a rumour in my family that my granddad, Sidney Hewlett, modelled for the statue. He was a regimental major and was praised by Eisenhower during his service. He was also part of the No 1 commandos

Does anyone know where I could find more information on who modelled does the statue or if there?s any documents or any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks very much everyone - we don't know how this story came about but I've only been hearing it recently especially since photos have been sent to me of my grandfather at the memorial so I had to do some checking haha.
Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any information on the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge in Scotland. There's a family story that my grandfather, Sidney Hewlett who was a No 1 commando, is the middle figure. Apparently, he had the artists original drawing.

I've tried researching but I can't find much and the original artist passed away in 1984. We don't know where the original drawings are in my family so we're exploring all avenues at the moment.

Thank you in advance!
Thanks Darren for the help!
Thanks Nick! Luckily enough I've made contact with her via a relative so it's all good. Thank you for trying though
geoffmurray1 wrote:Email from Sheila Guppy received 1 Feb 13:

Hi

I have somehow managed to log on to your CVA site and noticed a note from a A Hewlett asking for info. about a Sydney Hewlett.
He was my mothers half brother. His mother also being the mother of my mother. He was born in Barry South Wales ( a couple of miles from Barry Island). His mothers maiden name was Emily Thomas. She was born in Poplar London in 1882 and was married to Charles Hewlett on 22nd Oct 1900 at Emmanual Church Camberwell London. She died on 1st March 1972 in Clacton. He died in new tredegar in the Welsh Valleys in january 1943. One of Sydneys half sisters, my aunt, is still alive and lives here in Rugby. We have always been told that the middle commando in the statue at Spean Bridge is that of Sydney as he taught the commandos in Scotland. One of his daughters lives in holland. I hope it ok for me to email you as I didnt know how to reply to A Hewlett through your site, not very good with a computer. I still have a christmas card sent to my mother from Sydney and he was then living at 4 Woodstreet Kilwinning. Hope this is of some help to the person enquiring. Sheila Guppy

I've just found this post again and just seen this - 6 years later which is typical of me! Can I PM you for her email at all? if you still have access to this account
Hello everyone again,

My aunties aren't interested in giving me any information for the MOD forms nor are they willing to fill it out themselves so it's up to me. I understand that Pete found someone but it's not 100% sure if it's him, so what do I do in terms of this form?

Thanks Pete for researching.

I've been in contact with my aunt and she said he was a Training Sergeant Major in Fort William and Glencoe. I don't know if that helps any.

I also don't know if her or her sister's would give me the information needed or even fill the form in but I'll try and if all else fails, I'll just fill it in.
My name is Anne-Marie Hewlett and Sidney Hewlett was my grandfather.

Like I mentioned, I don't know too much about my grandfather and my family aren't willing to put forward any information, apart from what I already know.

I don't know about a Dorset connection, only that he may have gone down there to join the No.1 Commando but I was told by the family that he was in Fort William. Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

Thanks Pete!
It's been awhile since I posted but I have information that's changed.

Sidney/Sydney Hewlett
Born abt 24th July 1911 (Barry Island, Wales)
Died abt 27th July 1983

In the No1 Commando's, possibly at Fort William, Scotland. He has the No1 Army Commando "united we conquer" on his gravestone.

Any information would help in my search for him

EDIT: Looked on the gallery and I found a programme which mentions his name of who died and he comes up. His rank was TSM (Troop Sergeant Major)
I don't know a lot about him. The only information I know about him, I have already given in my post.

I know it's not much, but it's all I have
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for Sydney Hewlett who was probably in the Welsh or Scottish regiment in the No. 1 commando. I don't know anything about where he went and I have little information about him.

Born: 24 July 1908/1909
Died: 27 July 1983

He was in Fort William before the war.

Forum Index » Profile for AHewlett » Messages posted by AHewlett
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger