commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The Content of the Commando Veterans Archive  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I am pleased to advise that John Mewett, his son Dan, and myself, have now arranged for the Commando Veterans Archive website to be included in the British Library Website Archive with regular captures of all of its content already being processed by the British Library for posterity. This secures the content for all time which I know has been a concern of some in the past.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great news. Well done.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Fantastic news well done.

Thanks for all you do for us.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
John Martin
Forum Member

This will now provide the most wonderful lasting legacy.
Very well done indeed.
John Martin
mike beckett
Forum Member

Fantastic news.
Please advise - how is it best to access and acknowledge use of this aspect of the British Library Website Archive.
The photographs are a unique reference and would be extremely useful to me in my forthcoming companion volume to the Commando Compendium published last Christmas though the Royal Marines Historical Society as Special Publication 54 (see below if interested - summarises over 20,000 pages of Commando War Diaries for WW2 British and Inter-Allied units)

ORDER IT HERE https://www.rmhistoricalsociety.org/book-order-form OR JOIN THE SOCIETY, SUPPORT CORPS HISTORY AND GET THE COMMANDO COMPENDIUM FOR FREE... https://www.rmhistoricalsociety.org/membershipform (The 300 page book in full colour is £25 plus P&P)

Any advice appreciated regarding links to the archive, references for usage etc
Regards
Mike

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/07/2023 14:51:15

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mike

Most of these websites, like our own, are still in operation. However there have been cases where some websites have disappeared and the content lost hence the British Library Website Archive project. This is the reply you get for most photographic websites such as our gallery and forum that are being regularly captured. However our main archive with rolls of honour etc can be viewed direct in their archive but it loads slow if viewing at home. I am making some adjustments, but the good thing is that it is all being preserved.

Available in Legal Deposit Library Reading Rooms only
This Legal Deposit resource can only be accessed on site in a Legal Deposit Library reading room.

Next steps
If you are in a Legal Deposit Library Reading Room, you should be able to access this resource using a library computer, via the appropriate secure access gateway:

via the British Library's Secure Gateway
via the National Library of Wales' Secure Gateway
via the National Library of Scotland's Secure Gateway
via the Cambridge University Library's Secure Gateway
via the Trinity College Library's Secure Gateway
via the Bodleian Libraries' Secure Gateway
You may also wish to try:

Visiting the current, live site
Seeing if other web archives hold copies of this URL

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 25/07/2023 15:53:29

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

All this is done in the background. No one will notice any difference to the Commando Veterans Archive website which I will continue to add to and update as and when.

[Email]
mike beckett
Forum Member

Many thanks Pete for the comprehensive reply. It is new to me, but looks similar to the process through which authors get an ISBN number for books - namely depositing a copy of their work at the major libraries you mention. This should, in deed, preserve work for posterity.

I imagine, copyright rests with the depositing 'author' ie - Commando Veterans Archive - and applications should be made to your good selves for use of any images or material - which appears only fitting ...

Hopefully, you do not mind me contacting you in due course if I need your consent to use any material to fill gaps.

Regards and thanks again for your excellent and much appreciated help
Mike
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Thanks to Pete Rogers for all his help in this.

The Archive has grown to be one of the best resources for Commando history globally on the internet.

The work put in to the project over the years by many contributors has paid glorious dividends as all can see.

From myself and Dans point of view a dream has become a reality , and a promise made all those years ago to the 'Old Original' Commandos,has been kept.

It's in their memory that this site exists, and to honour all who wear ,and have worn ,the legendary Green Beret.

Onward we go..

Grateful thanks

John & Dan Mewett

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 26/07/2023 14:17:59

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Dear John and Dan

You have indeed remembered and honoured the the Green Beret men.

We give our thanks to you and to all who have honoured their relatives by putting photos and information on here and preparing importent documents like the Nominal Rolls.

Indeed this will continue to grow.

Best wishes.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
mike beckett
Forum Member

Pete, John and Dan - You have in deed done a fantastic job - the legacy of Commando originals is now preserved for ever ... What an achievement. It is a credit to all of you ... absolutely wonderful - huge congratulations to you all, what a formidable team you are.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/07/2023 15:09:03

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger