commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2619910 George Taylor, Grenadiers and Commando course  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
AB64
Forum Member

Trying to find out more about George Taylor, he joined the Grenadiers 4/7/40 and completed Commando training at Achnacarry in September 42 - I'm guessing as part of the intake from 24th Guards Brigade - was this a course to become a Commando or to train non Commandos with some of the techniques? I was assuming to become a Commando but just checking as at some point fairly soon after the course he returned to the 5th Grenadier Guards being wounded with them in Tunisia 5/5/43 and again in Italy 4/2/44. Any thoughts or observations most welcome, thanks in advance. Alistair
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Alistair

Not all the courses that took place there were Commando courses. We have a list of Courses at Achnacarry which shows there were numerous non commando units attending Courses. Additionally the Courses all have very different time lengths. The Home Guard had two Courses at Achnacarry. Elements of the 24th Guards Brigade attended four different Courses between May and October 1942 each course varying between 9 days and 15 days in length. This was likely in preparation for operations in North Africa.

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Training/courses/CBTC+1942+1944+spean+copy.jpg.html

Pete

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/03/2023 11:04:04

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
AB64
Forum Member

Hi,
Thanks for the reply so probably a battle indoctrination course run by Commando staff to help other units gain experience and pass on techniques - from a collector point of view I'd rather Gdsm Taylor was a Commando (even if just for a short time) but as a twice wounded Guardsman he has his own interesting story (even if it only nudges the world of Combined Ops in passing) which hopefully I'll be able to flesh out in time.

Thanks again

Alistair

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger