commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
The gardens at Achnacarry  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Gillian Parker
Forum Member

I know that this is an unlikely request, but I would be grateful for any help that members might be able to provide.

I am researching the history of a plant nursery that in 1905/6 built a rock garden to the west of the main house at Achnacarry. When a garden designer visited in 1953 to advise on restoring the gardens he was still able to see the rock garden so it must have been visible when the CBTC was in residence. It is no longer really visible apart from some rocks under the rhododendrons that I was able to see when the Lochiel kindly allowed me to visit in September.

I have been through all the wonderful (and moving) photos on your site, but no luck so far. Does anyone remember any of their relatives mentioning the rock garden and/or have any images of it?

With thanks for any help that might be forthcoming.

Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

How interesting!

I can remember my dad making a rock garden when I was little ... when we moved house he made another one. He loved his time at Achnacarry and reading the above makes me wonder if the garden he saw there inspired him.

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]
Gillian Parker
Forum Member

Thanks for your reply, Eileen. It would be lovely to think that seeing the Backhouse nursery at Achnacarry inspired your dad to build his rock gardens!
Best wishes
Gillian

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger