commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Leonard Cubitt EX1168  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
dutboy
Forum Member

Hi
Just looking for any information on what my grandfather did during WW2 -

I know he was in the Marines and we know he serverd in Burma during that time. But would be interested if anyone can provide actual accounts of where his team where and any battle information.

In the photo he is 3rd Row in the middle.

Thanks
Mark.
[Thumb - cert.jpg]
 Filename cert.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description RM Cert. 1945
 Filesize 119 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  185 time(s)

[Thumb - Group Photo.jpg]
 Filename Group Photo.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Group Photo Burma
 Filesize 37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  187 time(s)

John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Hello Mark

Just as a starter for you if your GF was a Royal Marine Commando (as certificate shows) then I would start your search with 42 RM Commando and 44 RM Commando both these units served in 3 Commando Brigade along with No 1 Army Commando No 5 Army Commando in Burma in WW2.

Hope this helps you along a little.

Best regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

In addition to what John stated and in the absence of anything in our own online archive you would have to apply for a copy of his Service Record to find out more about which unit he served in. How to do so can be found here: https://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords.

The Commando Service Certificate shows he was at the Holding Operational Commando on the 14 December 1945 and the date of commencement of his commando service in July 1943 shown on there coincides with the formation of six new RM Commando units to the existing two (joining the earlier formed Army Commando units) and as a result the necessary restructuring of the Special Service Brigade increasing from one to four brigades. The photo indicates service in the Far East. As such I have added a page for your grandfather as follows and this can be updated if you find additional evidence of service https://www.commandoveterans.org/Leonard_Cubitt_RM

Do you have a good photo of your Grandfather on his own either in uniform, or later in civvies ? Also do you have the dates and places of birth and death (if applicable) of your grandfather?

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
dutboy
Forum Member

Thanks for the info - greatly appreciated.
DOB : 30 July 1919 Hargrave, Suffolk
DOD : 13 September 1972 - Colchester, Essex
[Thumb - GF_Marine2.jpg]
 Filename GF_Marine2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 100 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  166 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 17/02/2023 14:46:06

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Mark

I have updated our archive and gallery with details that we know for sure at the moment. Should you in the future obtain his service record and discover a specific commando unit just let me know and I will amend it. Also I can add your surname if you provide it to the credit rather than just your first name should you wish that.

A-Z Personnel: https://www.commandoveterans.org/Leonard_Cubitt_RM

Gallery: https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Holding+Operational+Commando+HOC/Cubitt/

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger