commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No record for Frederick Arthur Sillett but on photo and in 8 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Zayley Marles
Forum Member

I'm after information about my great grandfather FREDERICK ARTHUR SILLETT 8 Commandos. He is on the photo bottom row with his arms around two friends. But there is no record of him. He was in the 8 Commandos we know that, but apart from him on the photo. There no record. He was prisoner or war in Burma, missing in action but came home until his death on 1987. He was born 1919. But there's no records. Many thanks
[Thumb - Screenshot_20221202_223532_Gallery.jpg]
 Filename Screenshot_20221202_223532_Gallery.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 273 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  111 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/12/2022 12:30:34

Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The Cap Badge looks like Grenadier Guards, if he was POW Burma, it's just possible, he was part of Mission 204 but you are right there no records i can find for Frederick Arthur Sillett.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Zayley do you have your great grandfather's army service number ?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/12/2022 13:04:47

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Zayley, You say there are no records, but have you applied to the MoD for a scan of his service records? The MoD is the only custodian of WWII service records so searching commercial, online genealogy sites such as Forces War Records etc., will, despite their dubious & misleading claims, return a blank...

The MoD is in the process of transferring the Army Service Records to the National Archives but, as there are over 9 million and none of them have ben digitalised, it is a mammoth task which will take several years to complete.
I spoke to the National Archives back in August and they advised me that enquirers may want to email their department in the first instance and they will search their database to confirm whether the record is with the NA or the MoD.

link below for more information for the National Archives...

https://cdn.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/mod-service-records-collection-faqs.pdf

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Zayley...I have responded to your email and attached some National Archives files for Thailand from the number you gave. As you can see they relate to a different man completely. Just for the benefit of others who have replied I have included some of my reply here. As pointed out we do have have an entry in our archive for this man who has a variation on the service number you gave and who was RAMC attached to 47RM Commando at Walcheren. You also have that file. The service Record should clear things up fully.

https://www.commandoveterans.org/F_A_Sillett_RAMC

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There is also a pre war transcript referencing the India General Service Medal in an entry in War Office file WO100/500/2 to F. Sillett with the number you gave. In the circumstances the service record should be applied for and you should add to your application what you have discovered in the files with both service numbers and as much detail as possible provided to them.
[Thumb - Sillett_India_GSM_1936-39_WO100_500_2.jpg]
 Filename Sillett_India_GSM_1936-39_WO100_500_2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 65 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  103 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/12/2022 16:22:20

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

Zayley Marles wrote:I'm after information about my great grandfather FREDERICK ARTHUR SILLETT his death on 1987. He was born 1919. But there's no records. Many thanks

Frederick Arthur SILLETT
23rd November 1919 Bosmere, Suffolk - 3Q 1987 Wrexham, Denbighshire

Frederick A SILLETT married Mair JONES at Wrexham 4 Q 1945

It may connect F.A. SILLETT, R.A.M.C. attached 47 R.M. Commando, 4th S.S.Brigade with the Holding Operational Commando, Depot at Wrexham?

All will be confirmed with copies of his service records.

Good luck with your research

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/12/2022 18:57:09

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger