commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Robert Moran - 4 Troop, 6 Cdo - Photos  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
alitait89
Forum Member

During my research I came across some photographs of my Grandad Robert Moran during the war. He was in 4 troop, 6 Commandos from 1941 to 1944. It would be interesting to be able to identify the other soldiers in the photo attached. Any help would be appreciated. (My Grandad is on the top right of the trio).
[Thumb - Robert Moran - 6 Commandos.jpg]
 Filename Robert Moran - 6 Commandos.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 219 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  270 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/11/2022 13:11:46

alitait89
Forum Member

My file sizes are too large so I will be uploading the 4 photos that I have separately. If anyone can shed any light on the photos it would be much appreciated.

- This photo states on the back - "No. 4 Troop, 6 Commando, Special Services. Taken on top of Ben Nevis March 1941".
[Thumb - 4 Troop, 6 Commando - Ben Nevis, March 1941.png]
 Filename 4 Troop, 6 Commando - Ben Nevis, March 1941.png [Disk] Download
 Description Ben Nevis - 1941
 Filesize 771 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  252 time(s)

[Thumb - Back of Ben Nevis Postcard - Robert Moran.png]
 Filename Back of Ben Nevis Postcard - Robert Moran.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 913 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  260 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/11/2022 17:13:07

alitait89
Forum Member

Unknown date or place - (Robert Moran is on the top right.)
[Thumb - Robert Moran -Commandos - Unknown Date 2.png]
 Filename Robert Moran -Commandos - Unknown Date 2.png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 956 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  268 time(s)

alitait89
Forum Member

Unknown date or place (Robert Moran top left)
[Thumb - Robert Moran - Commandos - Unknown Date.jpg]
 Filename Robert Moran - Commandos - Unknown Date.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  256 time(s)

alitait89
Forum Member

Apologies for the poor quality, this one is a little damaged. Unknown date or place.
[Thumb - Robert Moran - Commandos (Unknown place or time).jpg]
 Filename Robert Moran - Commandos (Unknown place or time).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 57 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  258 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and thank you for sharing your photos. Can you provide your name so as I can credit them in the gallery when completed. I have found a bit more about your grandfather and have added it here:

https://www.commandoveterans.org/RobertMoran_6Commando

I have moved the Ben Nevis postcard from the Commando Training gallery and placed it in the No.6 Cdo Gallery currently on page 1. I have added your copies for clarity of unit.

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/4+troop+training/

Can you confirm a couple of details for me if you should have them. Do you know his service number and the Regiment from which he was attached to No.6 Commando ? Also can you confirm the date of birth shown there and do you have his full date of death? The references in the Commando Association newsletters are attached below.
[Thumb - Moran_R_6Cdo_CA28_1959.jpg]
 Filename Moran_R_6Cdo_CA28_1959.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  241 time(s)

[Thumb - Moran_R_6Cdo_CA119_2004.jpg]
 Filename Moran_R_6Cdo_CA119_2004.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 26 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  238 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/11/2022 23:43:11

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
alitait89
Forum Member

Hi Pete,

My name is Alison Tait. His Service Number is 6103111 and date of birth 17/08/1920. He was born in Scarborough but was from Deans Grange in Dublin. He travelled to England in 1940 and joined the Queens Royal Regiment on the 22/08/1940. He joined the 6 Commandos in 1941 according to his Copy of Attestation. He joined the Royal Army Pay Corps and was transferred to Hong Kong in 1949, Egypt in 1953, Zambia 1958, Nairobi 1965. He retired from the military (Royal Army Pay Corps) in 1971 as a WO2 and decided to settle in Carlisle.

He sadly sustained major head injuries due to a hit and run accident while he was on a walk in Carlisle in 1994. He lost all his short term memory and awoke a coma with no memories of after the war. In fact his first words where "is this England England or German England".

We relocated to Salisbury in 1999 and he lived with us until he passed away in 2004 (I will have to get the death certificate from my mum to verify the exact date) at the age of 83.

I have his Soldiers Service and Pay Book from during the war in which his medical classification changes from A1 to A5 at the end of 1943, he then joins to Royal Army Pay Corps very shortly after. Do you know or are you able to point me in the direction to understand why he left the Commandos before the end of the war and if it might have something to do with those classifications?

Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 06/11/2022 16:52:03

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks Alison. I have updated the personnel page for your grandfather with the additional detail. I have also added the photos to the No.6 Commando Gallery and they can be seen on page 4 of that gallery alongside each other. Not sure if you noted but in this photo your grandfather and a couple of others can be seen wearing their commando fighting knives

I have also attached a page from the Medical Regulations of 1943 which show what the difference between A1 and A5. There were of course other categories and this is only the first page. The source for this document is the website of the excellent WW2 Talk Forum.
[Thumb - Medical Regs 1943 A1-A5.jpeg]
 Filename Medical Regs 1943 A1-A5.jpeg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 681 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  251 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

With regard to the 1941 Ben Nevis photo this related to a time before commando training was centralised and each commando unit trained its own men. Those that passed remained with the unit. Training took place in many different locations. From early 1942 the Commando Depot located at Achnacarry held the first of the centralised commando courses becoming the Commando Basic Training Centre.

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Great photo's Alison thanks for posting.

Thanks Pete for organizing into their Archive locations.

Great set

Regards

John M

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

alitait89
Forum Member

Thank you Pete for all your help. It means a lot to see him in the gallery. Fingers crossed someone may recognise the other men in the photographs and get a lovely surprise at seeing their loved ones.

Thanks again

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger