commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
2nd Lieut Richard Babington Jones - 52 Middle East Commando POW Crete  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Lamond10
Forum Member

Hello,

I confess that I've recently joined this forum in the hope forum members may be able to assist me in my research - I'm starting from a very low base of knowledge on the ME Commandos/Layforce!

I recently acquired a territorial efficiency medal (with 1939 and Africa Stars) to Lieut R B Jones, Staffordshire Yeomanry.

From the Army list and War Diary I believe this is Richard Babington Jones, Staffordshire Yeomanry (No 124667).

Interestingly the write up that came with the medal stated he was captured and prisoner of war on 2 June 1941 (at that time the Staffs Yeomanry were not in action so this posed an interesting question of what he was doing).

Looking at the Staffordshire Yeomanry War Diary it appears he was posted to 52 Middle East Commando in early 1941 and was serving with them (or Layforce?) when he was captured on 2nd June 1941. The 1939-45 casualty records held on Find My Past list him as POW Crete 2 June 1941 Staffordshire Yeomanry (Royal Armoured Corps) - but at that time the Staffs Yeomanry were relatively inactive in Palestine I believe.

I would be extremely grateful for any information on his service with 52 Middle East Commando (indeed even just confirmation he served with them at Crete would be of great interest).

Many thanks in advance.

Andy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

52 Middle East Commando and 50 Middle East Commando were designated as D Battalion of Layforce for the operation at Crete after which many became prisoners of war.

There are actually quite a few cases where the Casualty Lists only show Regiment and not a specific Commando unit. Unfortunately there is no official record of all who served as Commandos and therefore we rely on other sources. You mention an entry in the War Diary showing 52 ME Commando?.are you able to take a photo of this entry and send it to me. I can then add the details to our Archive.

Post war Royal Artillery. London Gazettes has a few entries for him including one for the Territorial Efficiency Medal which I am sure you will have seen including these two. He retired in 1959 with the rank of Major.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/39546/supplement/2783

and

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/41777/supplement/4794

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/08/2022 00:40:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Lamond10
Forum Member

Hi Pete

Many thanks for this indeed and apologies for the delay in replying. I visited the archives this week and managed to get a few copies of both the staffs yeomanry and 52me commando war diaries referencing Lieutenant RB Jones. David Smiley was in the same company as Jones according to the war diary.

If you could drop me a PM I?ll send over the copies I have.

Best wishes
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

You can use the email button below but I have also sent a pm with it.

All the best

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Lamond10
Forum Member

Thanks Pete - have emailed! Best wishes
Andy
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Andy

Thank you for providing the pages from the War Diary. I have now updated our archive with the entry below for Lieutenant Richard Babington Jones and will add the details of other officers mentioned where we do not have a record already.

https://www.commandoveterans.org/Richard_B_Jones_52MECommando

Pete

[Email]
Lamond10
Forum Member

Many thanks Pete - excellent write up!

Andy

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger