commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Norris Pickford Alrewas Designer RIP  XML
Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

I am saddened to inform you that Alrewas Commando Memorial Designer Norris Pickford passed away peacefully this morning.

Norris was my uncle and a great friend to our family.

Norris served in Egypt with the REME before being demobbed into civilian life where he became an Engineer.

When asked to get involved with the Alrewas project he took the opportunity with great delight.

When time became short he rolled his sleeves up and helped Tim McKerrith the blacksmith to fabricate the memorial.

Tim also served the REME so they got along really well.

Norris? passing leaves a huge hole in our families life...he leaves Rose his wife, who is also in a Nursing home at present , and his son Alan.

May he rest in peace.

[Thumb - 1-IMG_0968.JPG]
 Filename 1-IMG_0968.JPG [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 686 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  212 time(s)

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Very sad news about your Uncle Norris. His superb design of the memorial has resulted in what can only be described as a very beautiful and most appropriate permanent tribute to the Army Commandos.

Rest in peace Norris.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John, that is very sad news about your uncle, Norris. I am so sorry to hear of his passing.
I first met him at the Commando Memorial in 2007.
A lovely man who will be remembered forever for his brilliant design of the Army Commando Memorial.

May He Rest In Eternal Peace.

Nick

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/07/2022 22:04:29

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

John

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and all the family. Saddened about you loss. We give thanks for his service to all of the Commando family in the design of the Army Commando Memorial.

God's richest blessing.

Bill

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."

Forum Index » We Will Remember Them
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger