commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
PREECE 404153  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Tathamwarter
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Looking for information on Sgt. Frederick Amos Preece 6 Cdo special boat section. DCM.

I share the same surname and am looking into weather he may have been a relation as the surname is fairly uncommon and particular to my area.

Archives suggests he may have been with the KSLI (my local regiment) and also the Royal armoured corps.

Any particular info on birth place/ place of death etc will be gratefully received.

Also as a side note, I?m into re-enactment and have put together a uniform of the kind worn by the above gentleman, so any further information regarding his service would be great.

Thanks

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,

By pure coincidence I was only thinking, the other evening, that I know and know of a few people with the surname Preece - I agree it's an unusual name (as far as I am concerned) yet they all came from Shropshire/West Midlands! I was in the RAF and spent a lot of time at RAF Cosford and still have friends in the area...

However, here are two extracts from the Cdo Association Newsletters which would suggest that maybe Fred Preece was not from Shropshire...

Nick
[Thumb - Preece_008_March.1949.jpg]
 Filename Preece_008_March.1949.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Cdo Assoc Newsletter, issue 008 March 1949
 Filesize 27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  225 time(s)

[Thumb - Preece_062.March 1976.jpg]
 Filename Preece_062.March 1976.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Cdo Assoc Newsletter, issue 062 March 1976
 Filesize 63 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  215 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/05/2022 17:47:29

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Tathamwarter
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thanks so much, it does look like he wasn?t from Shropshire after all, and therefore the likelihood of us being related seems unlikely sadly.

I feel I have grown quite a connection with Sergeant Preece since discovering his story and he has become an inspiration to me. I only hope that he had friends and family who recognised his heroic actions during the war, although I well know these old boys don?t like to talk about what they did, nor except praise for it, it was a job and they just got on with it.
And that?s probably one reason why we won the war.

Thanks again

Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Looks like he enlisted during 1930 and served with 4/7 Dragoon Guards, discharged 10/9/36. Recalled and finally Z Reserve 30.1.46.

Born Pontefract 1913, mothers maiden name Farrar. Died Rotheram 1975.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/05/2022 09:17:41

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

The Nominal Roll contained an error showing KSLI instead of RAC. The Archive entry has more detail:

https://www.commandoveterans.org/FrederickPreece6commando

There was at least two others by that surname Preece.

No.4 Commando
Sgt. Francis William (Frank) Preece of Ruskington, Lincs. (CA115)

No.7 Commando
Gnr. Bernard Preece https://www.commandoveterans.org/Preece_7Commando

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger