commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No. 4 Commando help  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
MLY15
Forum Member

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I just received my Grandfather's WW2 service records (finally) and am starting to decode them so to speak! I was always told he was a Commando, and being interested in military history and a good mystery also, I decided in his memory I wanted to know more.

From starting to decode, he was "lent" to HMS Queen Emma and was part of No. 4 Commando and took part in Operation Claymore and the raid on Lofoten in March 1941.

However, despite some extensive deep googling and research, I am struggling to find info on other various points that might be able to help fill in some further blanks. He was mainly listed on various ship/shore establishments, some for only a few days at a time, which I am guessing were specific missions - however might anyone know how to find out any of those further details specific to dates? There are quite a few entries listed as "lent."

Might anyone also know:

1. What the Marshal of Bermuda was? It is listed as the ship/shore establishment, but I can find no details on it
2. Fraser Battery - again can find no details
3. Wembury - I know this was a heavy artillery site but can't find out much more
4. HMS Mylodon & HMS Copra - shore bases but anyone with an extra info?
5. I keep seeing LCT 804 under two entries for him being lent to HMS Mylodon - any idea what this means?

Also, if he was originally No. 4 Commando would he have stayed attached to No. 4 Commando for the duration?

Have a million other questions, but these seem like a good starting point for me to fill in some blanks at least.

If anyone is able to help at all, would be hugely grateful!

Thanks so much. M
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I see that you posted a message on the excellent WW2 Talk Forum with some documents and have had some good replies which I personally cannot add anything useful to so am posting the link here for the benefit of others. No.4 Commando was an Army Commando and your Grandfather was in the Royal Navy. The one thing I cannot see on either message is the full name of your Grandfather.

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/no-4-commando-help.95029/

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
MLY15
Forum Member

Thanks Pete. Can email you his name if that is ok with you?
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Yes thats fine. Email link is below this message.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/05/2022 12:59:50

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger