commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
No. 3 Commando location?  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Ben_3469
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out more about No. 3 Commando I know it was located in Plymouth but can anyone tell me where in Plymouth?

I know that commandos lived within the community rathe than a barracks but they must have met somewhere to train etc.

Thanks for your help👍🏼
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Ben
I am not sure whether you have read the book by Brig. John Durnford-Slater called Commando, Memoirs of a Fighting Commando in WW2, or Storm from the Sea by Brig Peter Young, but if not you should. They give good detail of their formation and subsequent training and operations. They left Plymouth in November 1940 and moved up to Inveraray and then Troon for training. Both authors were iconic figures in No.3 Commando.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Ben_3469
Forum Member
[Avatar]

No I haven't I'll give them a go thanks!

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger