commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Marine Leonard George Elliott PO/X5111 RM 40 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Chris Barnes
Forum Member

Hi.
I am helping research the service history of George Elliott (Leonard George Elliott) PO/X5111 for his daughter Linda. From the many photos that I have on loan I know that he served in Malta 1943/44 and Italy 1944/45.
If anyone has any info regarding his service, or details of which troop he served in, I would really appreciate it.
Happy to share the photos if required.
Chris
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris
By all means attach photos but I should add that we do require evidence of service in a commando unit before we can enter any photos into the gallery. This can be photos where commando insignia is clear, copy of a commando service certificate, letters mentioning such service, etc,etc. This is because unlike today not all Royal Marines were Commandos in WW2.
Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Chris Barnes
Forum Member

Hi Pete
Thanks for the reply and advice.
Some photos attached, including George in his 40 Royal Marine Commando Battledress.
Chris
[Thumb - George Elliott 2.jpg]
 Filename George Elliott 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  173 time(s)

[Thumb - George Elliott 1.jpg]
 Filename George Elliott 1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Leonard George Elliott
 Filesize 69 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  173 time(s)

[Thumb - George Elliott 3.jpg]
 Filename George Elliott 3.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  164 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thank you for adding the photos. I am not sure whether his daughter has, or has applied for, a copy of his service record but if not here is how to do so.:
https://www.commandoveterans.org/ServiceRecords

You can currently get the entire 40RM Commando War Diary for free by simply registering with the National Archives. Again here is how to do so:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2954419

What we have is in the main already within this online archive. Our nominal rolls are not complete but because of the photo with his insignia I have included Marine Elliott's details on there and I will add his photo to the Gallery. Can you advise me to whom the credit should made? Also do you know the dates and places of birth and death (if applicable) of Marine Elliott and I will include that.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Chris Barnes
Forum Member

Thanks Pete, for taking the time to reply. Great advice.
I am fairly sure that Linda hasn't applied for a copy of his service record, but I will send her the link.
I will renew my National Archives membership, as it looks like that there is a wealth of information, in the link that you sent.
DOB was 19th March 1922. Fakenham, West Sussex. Will find out DOD, but I know he lived to the great age of 97.
Not sure what is meant by whom credit should be made, but the photos have been lent to me by Linda Elliott.
Thanks
Chris
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have posted the photo of Mne Elliott in the 40RM Commando album now. Here is a link to it:

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/40+RM+Cdo/

[Email]
Chris Barnes
Forum Member

Hi Pete.
Thanks so much for posting the photo in the 40RM Commando album.
Apologies if it is obvious, but I can see how I can leave a comment in the album. Is there an easy way?
Chris
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris

You have to register on the gallery to add a comment. Whilst it is separate you can use the same registration details as you used when registering on the Forum.
Have a read here about adding comments:
https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/CVAGalleryInfo.jpg.html

[Email]
Chris Barnes
Forum Member

Thanks Pete.
Chris
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris
I have activated your gallery registration so you should now be able to log in to the gallery and add a comment. Ignore any automated emails you may receive. Any problems contact me via the email button below.

[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger