commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Harry Johnson D-Day 3 Commando 4 Troop  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
martin dunn
Forum Member

Hi all, I am trying to identify which unit my uncle was with on D-Day. He was Sgt in 3 Commando 4 Troop until wounded at Malati Bridge, Sicily in Aug 1943. Then we found a picture of him in Daily Mail, with the first homing pigeon to make it home after D-Day. Can anyone identify the unit please? He is 3rd from left, in camouflage helmet.
Thankyou,
Martin.
[Thumb - D_Day_jpg.jpg]
 Filename D_Day_jpg.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 263 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  278 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/10/2021 17:46:34

GUY
Forum Member

Martin,
The men are Airborne troops and were attached to the 5th Parachute Brigade Head Quarters. The photograph was taken by Captain Malindine at R.A.F. Harwell prior to departing for Normandy on Operation Tonga.
The men all wear oversmocks which were designed to stop their equipment and weapons becoming entangled in their canopy lines when they parachuted, these were to be discarded on landing.
Good luck with your research
Guy

[Thumb - large_H_039058.jpg]
 Filename large_H_039058.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description © I.W.M. Collection H39058
 Filesize 50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  256 time(s)

GUY
Forum Member

martin dunn wrote:Hi all, I am trying to identify which unit my uncle was with on D-Day. He was Sgt in 3 Commando 4 Troop until wounded at Malati Bridge, Sicily in Aug 1943.

Sergeant Harry Johnson was posted to H.O.C. at Wrexham and features in this photograph of Officers and N.C.O.'s taken in June 1944.

https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Holding+Operational+Commando+HOC/Officers_+WOs+_amp_+Sgts_+Holding+Operational+Commando_+Wrexham_+June+1944.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

[Thumb - Johnson H.O.C..png]
 Filename Johnson H.O.C..png [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 53 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  131 time(s)

martin dunn
Forum Member

Thankyou Guy for this information.
Regards,
Martin.

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger