commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Alexander G Watson No 9 Commando  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
manufan
Forum Member

Have only recently discovered this relative whilst researching my family tree on ancestry. I have spent weeks researching No 9 commandos and the training they underwent. Had no idea these units even existed previously. Alexander is listed as being accidentally killed whilst training on the 20th October 1941 aged only 21. Can anyone give me a possible insight as to the nature of his death ? Was there a particular field of training with relatively high numbers of accidents/deaths. Also, he was taken to Dumfries Royal Infirmary, where he sadly passed away, was that a military hospital at the time as I am thinking surely there would have been a closer one.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi manufan,

No.9 Cdo were at Kirkcudbright during Sept/Oct '41 - although at least one Troop at a time was on detachment at Castle Douglas...
The official War Diary for No.9 Cdo, during the month of Oct, shows three entries where 3311891 Private Alexander Watson, H.L.I. (Highland Light Infantry) is mentioned...
Unfortunately the nature of the accident nor the findings of the Court of Inquiry are recorded.

Nick

[Thumb - watson.jpg]
 Filename watson.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  301 time(s)

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
GUY
Forum Member

The Statutory Death Register (821/485) records Alexander's cause of death as "Traumatic rupture of the spleen."
Good luck with your research
Guy

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/09/2021 13:21:33

manufan
Forum Member

Thank you both for sharing this information with me and for taking the time to reply. It is very much appreciated
manufan
Forum Member

So after some research and thinking Alexander may have sadly lost his life during training, I have discovered the cause of his death. I have a photo of him and a photo of a local newspaper article explaining the details of his death.
[Thumb - AGWatson.jpg]
 Filename AGWatson.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Portrait
 Filesize 3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  307 time(s)

[Thumb - AGWatson1.jpg]
 Filename AGWatson1.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Newspaper
 Filesize 67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  281 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Manufan ( sorry I don?t know your name)
We have 2 entries for your relative. Neither however show how he met his death just that it was an accident. So thank you for details in the newspaper which I will add to the ROH entry.
The Roll of Honour:
https://www.commandoveterans.org/AlexanderWatson9Commando

The Gallery (a photo I took of his grave a few years ago): https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/UK/A+G+Watson+9+cdo.jpg.html

Can you advise me of the name of the newspaper and date of the article.
Also the photo you posted is extremely small in resolution. Do you have a higher resolution copy of it ?
Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
manufan
Forum Member

Hi Pete thanks for your reply. My name is Karen btw.

I found this article on the British Newspapers Archive website. The article was in the Dumfries & Galloway Standard & Advertiser, dated October 25th 1941. I took a photo off the screen to send to a relative but also downloaded the full page as a PDF, which I have now attached. Hope this may be a bit better.
 Filename BL_0000461_19411025_072_0004.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 370 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  364 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Karen
Thanks for the newspaper. It is the actual photo of Alexander that is only 3kb in size so tiny. Do you have a higher resolution one ?
Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
manufan
Forum Member

Oh I'm sorry that is the best I can do I think. Tried to make it a bit bigger but dont think its worked
[Thumb - 3fa167b9-5fe5-4eb6-bf2c-59d9de581227.jpg]
 Filename 3fa167b9-5fe5-4eb6-bf2c-59d9de581227.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 210 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  275 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Karen
That is much better thank you. I have updated the ROH Page as you will see below and added the full size to the No.9 Commando gallery with links on there to his ROH page and his grave here: https://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/9/?g2_page=3

ROH page: https://www.commandoveterans.org/AlexanderWatson9Commando

If you wish your surname included I will add that to both.
Pete

[Email]

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger