commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
CWGC change of policy - no longer adding posthumous Mention In Despatches  XML
Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

As I have done on many occasions without any problem I sent the CWGC a message stating that their record on a Commando who was killed in action did not show his Mention in Despatches awarded after he had died. They have in the past always updated their database. However when I tried to get this 47 Royal Marine Commando Officers MiD along with that of a Sergeant from 41 Royal Marine Commando added I got a flat we no longer do this.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/BrianJohnStickings47RMCommando

http://www.commandoveterans.org/RobertStradling41RMCommando

Apparently in December during lockdown in the middle of a worldwide pandemic they made a policy change that this would no longer happen and Mentions in Despatches that should have been on their database would no longer be included if subsequently found, adding,

One of the outcomes of that review was that we would no longer add awards to the database where there is no entitlement to post-nominals. This was a carefully considered change. The purpose of our database is to maintain an accurate record of the people we commemorate, where we commemorate them, and the information that is inscribed on headstones and memorials. In keeping with that purpose, awards will only be added to the database if it entitles the recipient to post-nominal letters after their name, as this detail is then engraved on the headstone or memorial.
With this being said, we will no longer add to casualty records awards such as Mentioned in Despatches, Long Service medals, Good Conduct awards, Efficiency medals, Commendations, etc.

For sure they are not treating those whose Mention in Despatches was missed as equal to those whose Mention in Despatches they found and are and have always been included. I reminded them of this fact:

In WW2 members of the British Armed Forces who did not survive an action where their exceptional gallantry was witnessed, could not have their gallantry recognised at the appropriate level with the exception of the Victoria Cross. Hence gallantry that resulted in a soldiers death that would have merited today a posthumous award of the highest order, was in WW2 only recognised with the award of a posthumous Mention in Despatches. This changed around the the time of the Falklands War.

To this they replied:
We reviewed our policy on amendments to the Casualty Database late last year, which resulted in the decision that we would no longer add awards to the database where there is no entitlement to post-nominals. The purpose of our database is to maintain an accurate record of the people we commemorate, where they are commemorated and the details that are inscribed on headstones and memorials. The reason for the policy change was to ensure that the information we add to the database delivers on this purpose.

Please be assured that this decision is in no way related to any comparison of medals nor any assessment by CWGC of their significance. It has never been the role of CWGC to compile complete award lists. I appreciate that these details have been added in the past and I can understand your frustration at the change. However, this decision was taken after careful consideration to ensure the quality and accuracy of our records, which enables us to deliver on our core remit to commemorate First and Second World War casualties.

Please circulate this CWGC Police Change on Social Media should you have any strong thoughts about it. The public should be made aware.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 17/07/2021 08:30:51

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

One of the founding principles of the CWGC is
equality of treatment in death

If your posthumous Mention in Despatches was discovered before December 2020 it was added. If it was discovered after December 2020 it is omitted. Equality of treatment I think not.

You can complain to the CWGC here: [email protected]

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Mention in Despatches not shown on the CWGC database of The Fallen discovered since the CWGC began refusing to include them, something they had always done for decades until December 2020. If you know of any please post as a reply in this forum thread.

Captain Brian John Stickings, 47 RM Commando.
Sergeant Robert Edward Webb, 47 RM Commando.
Sergeant Robert Fettes Stradling, 41 RM Commando.

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Extremely strange policy taken by the CWGC.
Thank you for your efforts Pete, and I will certainly follow up with letters to the CWGC

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have advised the Royal Marines Charity, the RM Historical Society, the CA Secretary, the Royal British Legion, and even emailed the Armed Forces Minister who has not as yet replied other than his office to say they have forwarded it to him via the MOD. So at least people know. It?s up to such veterans organisations to take this forward really. Whether they will is for them to decide.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Well there appears to be some positive news. The M.OD. have now responded as follows:

Dear Mr Rogers,
22 July 2021
Thank you for your email of 8 July 2021 to the Rt Hon Ben Wallace MP, Secretary of State for Defence, regarding the recording of Mentions in Despatches in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission?s (CWGC) database. As you will appreciate, the Secretary of State receives many letters and emails and is unable to answer them all personally. Therefore, your email has been passed to the Defence People Secretariat within the Ministry of Defence (MOD), and I have been asked to reply.
As a nation we owe a great deal to all those who serve or have served in the British Armed Forces, and it is only right that they are held in the highest esteem by the people and Government of the United Kingdom.
I would like to explain that the CWGC is always keen to add to casualty information, but over the last few years requests such have these have escalated hugely. They have, therefore, had to prioritise some of the amendments and additions to their database that they have been requested to make, which has led to the change in policy.
In the past these additions have been updated manually in the database, but I can advise that the CWGC is now working on a way of automating these amendments in batches. This will help the Commission respond to requests of this nature in a more efficient and time effective way.
Officials in the CWGC would like to assure you that they will, of course, hold the information that you have supplied pending this automation and apologise for the lack of clarity in their previous response to you. As you will appreciate, this is currently work in progress and your information will be added to the database in due course.
I hope this information is helpful and explains the position. Thank you for taking the time to write.

[Email]
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

Well done Pete.....Thankyou.

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Alan Orton
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Bang on Pete! Well done.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Great Effort, Pete.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Memorials and Places of Remembrance
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger