commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
John Sydney Chandler - Greek Sacred Regiment - Help wanted please  XML
Forum Index » General Topics
Rob Smith
Forum Member

Hi
I'm trying to find out some information on a badge awarded to a friends father in WW2.
I don't know and neither does he if his father was a commando but I've being looking for information about the badge and this site came a lot.
He was entitled to wear the badge of the greek sacred regiment.
Is this a common or uncommon thing for a UK serviceman ??
I have photos of his red book

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/06/2021 13:35:15

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Rob

Part of the answer to your question can be found in our Gallery page here:

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/WW2/comb+ops/greek+sacred+squadron/

Can you advise as to his full name,regiment, and service number and the name of the red book you refer to.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Rob Smith
Forum Member

6405419 John Sydney Chandler
Enlisted..Croydon 24.6.40 Territorial Army
Trade ..O.W.L groupe E 29.6.42...group B 17.8.42
Experienced DM Gas 15.4.41
Qualified parachutist 27.1.43
Africa star 8th army clasp
Entitled to wear Badge of the Greek sacred regiment
Theres no regiment or corps listed in his red book ??
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I think the next step for your friend to consider is am application for his service record. Despite what some pay websites might offer the only place to get a full copy of the Service Record is via the Historical Disclosure Sections of the M.O.D. How to do so can be found below. provide as much detail as you already have. There is a charge they make of £30 but it really is the next step on research. If done and you find any Commando or S.B.S. connection please let us know, or even if you need help deciphering the information on the record itself.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Using this useful search tool the service number you provided is indicated as being in a batch for the Royal Sussex Regiment

http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org/tools/armynumber

I have updated the title of this forum thread for ease of readers with information finding your post in the future

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/06/2021 13:36:22

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Rob Smith
Forum Member

Hi Pete
Thank you so much for your help.
If my friend finds out that there is any commando or SBS connections I will inform you as soon as
Kind regards
Rob

Forum Index » General Topics
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger