commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Peter Fleming - help finding any Combined Ops or Cdo service  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
CHRIS BOARDMAN
Forum Member

Please advise how you are able to determine if a man served in the Commandos. My uncle served in the Royal Signals and I have his service records and medals, second hand account has him involved in the Dieppe raid. Also newspaper reports states he was in Combined Operations and made landings in North Africa,Italy, Sicily. His service records only states Royal Signals, do any records exist of any service in Combined Operations or Commandos and where would I find this information.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/06/2021 14:53:06

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris
I have shortened the subject title of your post as it was causing a problem with replies due to its length. Can you post the rank and army number and any photo of your uncle where insignia might be visible. Service records sometimes have clues to service in Combined Operations not evident at first sight. Fee free to post a photo of his postings. Not all in Combined Ops were Commandos.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
CHRIS BOARDMAN
Forum Member

Peter Fleming 2320000 Rank Sgn
CHRIS BOARDMAN
Forum Member

Filename Peter Fleming award newspaper.pdf [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 450 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  343 time(s)

CHRIS BOARDMAN
Forum Member

Peter Fleming 2320000 Rank Sgn Service Record.
[Thumb - Fleming Peter ..jpg]
 Filename Fleming Peter ..jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1016 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  304 time(s)

CHRIS BOARDMAN
Forum Member

[Thumb - Service record Peter Fleming 1..jpg]
 Filename Service record Peter Fleming 1..jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 483 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  288 time(s)

CHRIS BOARDMAN
Forum Member

[Thumb - Service record Peter Fleming 2.jpg]
 Filename Service record Peter Fleming 2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 515 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  287 time(s)

CHRIS BOARDMAN
Forum Member

Peter Fleming 2320000 far left as you look at picture i think this is pre WW2 INDIA.
[Thumb - PETER FLEMING far left pre WW2.jpg]
 Filename PETER FLEMING far left pre WW2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 915 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  269 time(s)

CHRIS BOARDMAN
Forum Member

Please advise the movements of the 48 Division Signals 1940 - 1945 the service records for Peter Fleming state he was with the unit and I would like to investigate his movements within this unit to determine if my uncle could be linked to Combined Operations and any Operations he was involved with.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Chris

I cannot see any named commando connection in his record. The only official record detail I have found is the fact that in 1940 he was for a short period amongst the many listed missing at Dunkirk in May/June 1940. I have copies of the Casualty List where he and the others are named if you need them just email me via the link below.
The War Diaries at the National Archives at Kew are really the best place to check for any listings of names, however there is a very good website which has a Forum and there are a number of people on there that have access to copies of many war diaries so it may well be worth posting a message there. It is called the WW2 Talk website and can be found here: http://ww2talk.com/index.php

Signallers quite frankly were such a valuable resource they could have been attached to different units as and when needed for specific operations. In addition to Divisional Signals units there was a Commando Brigade Signal Troop from 1940 which expanded in 1943 when the single Brigade increased to four separate Special Service (later renamed Commando) Brigades. Sicily, Italy and North Africa in 1943 would be 2 Special Service Brigade.

Sorry i cannot help further and I do hope you find the information you are looking for.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
CHRIS BOARDMAN
Forum Member

Hi Pete
Thanks for the information, I have requested the Causality list as stated via e mail, this sounds plasable as I did hear story of Peter Fleming getting wounded in the retreat to Dunkirk and being taken in by a holy man, nursed until he could continue, his service records do indicate he was one of the last to leave Dunkirk.
P. S Holy man allegedly gave him some rosery beads which the family still have.
CHRIS BOARDMAN
Forum Member

Hi Pete
Thanks for the information, I have requested the Causality list as stated via e mail, this sounds plasable as I did hear story of Peter Fleming getting wounded in the retreat to Dunkirk and being taken in by a holy man, nursed until he could continue, his service records do indicate he was one of the last to leave Dunkirk.
P. S Holy man allegedly gave him some rosery beads which the family still have.

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger