commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Pvte Reginald L HOWELLS, 14552223, Welch Rgt & No6 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
half12
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello,

Happy to share information with you ... I am looking for information/picture/service records ... about Reginald L HOWELLS, No6 cdo 1943-1945
I have searched London Gazette, National archives ... without success.

Best regards .. Herve

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/06/2021 17:48:02

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Herve,

Reginald Howells lived in Wrexham, North Wales.

You won't find his service record online - the MoD is the ONLY custodian of WWII service records...
You may apply to the MoD:

1. as a family member;
or
2. as a General Enquirer - where, if you are not the immediate Next of Kin or do not have the consent of the Next of Kin,* then for a period of 25 years following the date of death the only
information that will be disclosed to you is surname; forename; rank; service number; regiment/corps; place of birth; age; date of birth; date of death where this occurred in service; the date
an individual joined the service, the date of leaving; good conduct medals (i.e. Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (LS&GCM)), and any orders of chivalry and gallantry medals (decorations of
valour) awarded, some of which may have been announced in the London Gazette.
After this period the following information will also be disclosed, the units in which he/she served, the dates of this service and the locations of those units; the ranks in which the service was
carried out and details of campaign medals awarded.

In either case you'll need a copy of his Death Certificate

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Herve, the service number of Private Howells is recorded on the Casualty Lists as slightly different to the one you wrote. It is 14552223. He was wounded NWE in 1944 exact date not known but listed amongst others in June 1944. Casualty Lists reference WO417/76. See attached extract.

He was a member of the original Commando Association but they lost contact with him over the years. He is listed on their Lost Legions List 6 http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Gatherings+pre+CVA/CA+Lost+legions/CA+Lost+Legion+No6__0001.pdf.html

Out of interest why do you ask?
[Thumb - Howells_6Cdo_CasList_NWE.png]
 Filename Howells_6Cdo_CasList_NWE.png [Disk] Download
 Description Casualty Lists WO417/76
 Filesize 240 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  159 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
half12
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello Nic and Pete,

Many thanks for your reply ...
I unserstand that it will be almost impossible for me to get his service details ...

@Pete, I have recently bought few things from him, coming from a "sort of" house clearance. And I am always interested to put a face on objects.

Best regards .. Herve

Forum Index » Looking for Information Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger